Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product reviews, can we trust them?

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Product reviews, can we trust them?

Been looking to buy a bluetooth transmitter for my television and I've been checking out those on line product reviews - but can we trust them. Happy enough to shell out £20 for one (which seems to be the going rate) but to then get one that might transmit out of sync......

Any recommends for one guys? 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
22 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Product reviews, can we trust them?

I use online reviews as a guide as yiu have to bear in mind that some reviews could be based on a few rogue products where the majority may have been good but no review posted.

Either way I then purchase online so as to make use of the Consumer Contracts Regulations giving 14 days in which to test out items to ensure they are satisfactory.

Also I pay by credit card for items between £100 and £30,000 giving extra protection under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

huh? Huh

(yeah yeah, , I know, full quote, preceding post, etc.....)

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

Wink

Fixes: 125

Bit of an issue on my mobile phoneEmbarrassed

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Minivanman wrote:

Been looking to buy a bluetooth transmitter for my television and I've been checking out those on line product reviews - but can we trust them. Happy enough to shell out £20 for one (which seems to be the going rate) but to then get one that might transmit out of sync......

Any recommends for one guys? 

I bought one of these.... well not exactly from this supplier, ... but similar...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-USB-V2-0-Wireless-Dongle-Adapter-EDR-For-PC-Laptop-Windows-7-8-1...

so I could use my bluetooth earphones..... When I was transmitting morse over the internet, there was a definite delay between what I was keying and when the sound appeared in my phones... ( about 1 second delay)...

there was no delay in the sound using my ordinary wired in phones...  

Not sure how that applies to a TV... but thought I would mention it...  .. as you were asking about transmitting out of synch...

Minivanman
Hero

Thanks for the replies guys and for your link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LWPA8KI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3D6HS6LXJITYF&c...

I will then have to attach a phono adapter to it otherwise the sound will cut out and only the headphone user will be able to hear the television - and Mrs Minivanman would not be to pleased about that!

As well as the phono adapter it looks like I will also need a usb to mains one as well.  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Minivanman
Hero

Mav wrote:

I use online reviews as a guide as yiu have to bear in mind that some reviews could be based on a few rogue products where the majority may have been good but no review posted.

Either way I then purchase online so as to make use of the Consumer Contracts Regulations giving 14 days in which to test out items to ensure they are satisfactory.

Also I pay by credit card for items between £100 and £30,000 giving extra protection under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Good idea, thanks Smiley

Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

Thanks for the replies guys and for your link

I will then have to attach a phono adapter to it otherwise the sound will cut out and only the headphone user will be able to hear the television - and Mrs Minivanman would not be to pleased about that!

As well as the phono adapter it looks like I will also need a usb to mains one as well.  

Have a look on Ebay.... search box entry     Phono to USB    and see various combo`s available ... something there may suit your lack of USB

Community Veteran

Minivanman
Hero

shutter wrote:

You may also need one ( or more  ) of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-Female-to-Female-Gender-Changer-Adaptor-/160461211328?hash=item255...

The cost just keeps mounting, might be cheaper to buy a new television! - but do they come with usb sockets now? Was given a sound bar the other day by my daughter as son-in-law has bought a 'better one'. Amused to read on the long narrow box the new one came in - "television not included"  Smiley

2u2me
Aspiring Pro

Don`t know how much you want to pay, but at this price these may be worth a punt.

http://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/optimum-5-in-1-wireless-headphone-257029

Minivanman
Hero

Interesting idea thanks.
I already have a set of bluetooth headphones for use with my Kindle but as they keep locking up the screen for some reason (especially on bbc iplayer) I thought I would try and use the headset on the television as my current infra red ones are, like me and my old ears, showing signs of age!
Cheers. 
PS. One of their stores has just opened up near us is Cardigan after taking over a B&Q premises, so might check em out. Thumbs Up
PPS. £8.99 from b&m stores, £19.99 on Amazon!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/OPTIMUM-5in1-WIRELESS-HEADPHONES-257029/dp/B00CRH6JZE/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&a...15&keywords=optimum+headphones

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Short answer, no. Too many idiots post glowing reviews after having the product out of the box for a couple of minutes without having a clue of its reliability.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Hero

Goes back even further than that, I've been asked to review some home brew two days after I purchased it and at least a month before I could get around to tasting the stuff after brewing. Crazy2

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It seems that some companies deliberately blur the definition of product feedback and customer service feedback knowing full well that they can sell more stock with glowing reviews if they confuse people into commenting on their service.

I'm fed up with all the premature feedbacks, it's pathetic and comes from the very morons of society that have turned into government powered zombies who cannot think for themselves.

I got given a printer years ago for my birthday (wrong one, told her not to go buying one cos she'd get the wrong one... did she listen? No.. and then she got the wrong one and i had to pretend to be pleased). It was rubbish and yet everyone and his dog had left reviews all over the internet saying how brilliant it was etc. I left one truthful review on a well known site after having used it for three months and they deleted it at the moderation stage and then claimed i violated their review rules. Meanwhile more idiots left more happy reviews along the lines of "I bought this today and it came out the box really well packed and it looks great" type of idiocy.

So no, online reviews can't be trusted unless they're from someone like me who is thorough and points out the good and the bad, the weakpoints and how well the product has performed since purchase. Only when you read thorough reviews like that can you rely on it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!