cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product placement in books & Films - Good idea?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Product placement in books & Films - Good idea?

I am reading the latest Clive Cussler book, so far it is all Apple's -  Ipad's iphones, & mac book pro's. He seems fixated with apple products.
And watching films, how many people REALLY use apples? Certainly <10% of real firms/users but 100% of people in films seems to use them, including if you believe it MI5 (BBc1 Spooks series)  Crazy
(Although I LOVED the laptop in Gnomeo & Juliet - A BANANA!  Grin)

I also remember reading a book which had Bubble Memory in it - how many people remember than now? (it was going to be the #1 for years and fizzled out)
7 REPLIES
David_W
Rising Star

Re: Product placement in books & Films - Good idea?

I stopped reading Cussler books years ago when his xenophobia started to grate too much.  I do agree that product placement is a bit whack, look at Neighbours!  Everyone in Australia must use a mac/ipad/iphone - although as far as I know Apple do not pay for product placement for Neighbours so maybe they are just really cheap over there?  Though also Neighbours doesn't show any black people either.  Weird that.
I don't mind product placement as long as it's subtle, not the "oh, I have a new iPhone, look at what it can do, goodness, I never knew a phone could do that" storyline that was actually present in Neighbours (I kind of only watch Neighbours, Casualty, Holby and Top Gear....), but they can't really go representative on PP unless Dell cough up to place their products too.
Community Veteran

We have a game in our house to see how often Hilton Hotels manage to get a mention in Hawaii 5-0 (apart from the "sponsored by... " bit at the breaks of course)   Smiley
They seem to  manage it most weeks.  I've also seen the prevelance of Apple products on TV.
Do Apple also provide free laptops to sports teams by the way?  Everytime a sports coach is seen during a match, they have an Apple computer open in front of them.  Huh
John
Fixes: 124

I've noticed that Sony TVs seem prevailant in films.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Billion Dollar Brain used a Honeywell 200 - which was around just prior to the IBM 360 (for those who aren't familiar with the brand.

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@mav Not surprising as Sony is in the movie-making business.
randpwar
Grafter

Slightly different but there used to be a programme about a doctor’s surgery set in Warwick called Dangerfield where (it seemed) every murdered body was discovered in the middle of a very nice panoramic view of the Castle. I don’t think the Castle was involved in making the programme but this happened so often that it did make us think.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If anything I’ve been oblivious to product placement, haven’t actually notice any yet, so it is probably working at a subliminal level.  Certainly haven’t had a desire to buy the NOTW.Roll eyes