Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Placement

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Product Placement

Only after watching nearly fifty chapters of 'House of Cards' have I now noticed outside of the main viewing area, something like a half second of text at the top of the screen informing me that 'this programme contains product placement'. Is this still allowed, as I thought it had been outlawed - especially after the Rusty Lee product placement scandal back in the 80s when she lost her place on GMTV for taking backhanders.

At first I thought I had imagined it as on replay it did not reappear but low on behold, up it pops again on the next chapter!

Maybe I'm losing my marbles. Crazy2

Any thoughts guys? 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
8 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Re: Product Placement

Minivanman
Hero

Thanks for the link, but I am left wondering why they are so discreet about it although having said that, at least Netflix briefly informed me whereas others make no notification at all - or have I missed them?

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
PowerLee
Rising Star

If you ever watch Coronation Street, during the titles you will briefly see the product placement logo.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

That adds a whole new meaning to  " I`ll have a P please, Bob"..... 

Thanks for the enlightenment.... I thought that P at the start of Emmerdale was for "Parental Guidance" as the programme contained violence or swearing....  !

Community Veteran

Watching a lot of American series often the camera lingers for a split second longer than necessary on a mobile or tablet etc.

While not exactly intrusive it does get annoying sometimes.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Product placement's been going on for years, even on the BBC, where certain branded things are conveniently left in full view while other brands of similar items have had their logos blacked out (either in post or with gaffer tape) so one brand is favoured over another...

Still, product placement is how soap operas started, because they were short mini-drama films that advertised cleaning products to housewives, and they evolved from that into the rubbish that people still watch today...

Minivanman
Hero

Well crikey Corrie PowerLee I never knew that, seriously.

These things become subliminal and then invisible which I guess is the whole point. Unknown, unseen and sneaky.

Minivanman
Hero

Indeed   but at least they knew what the were getting back then, clear up front (if overwhelming) adverts during the break, and no sneaky stuff in between.