cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Placement Starts on TV

Community Veteran

Product Placement Starts on TV

Product placement starts on UK TV tomorrow.  Nestlé has paid £100,000 to promote a coffee machine, the Dolce Gusto, which will be in the kitchen area of This Morning on ITV. I'm not in favour of this and wonder where it will lead Undecided
Obviously Nestlé see the benefit in product placement to be paying £100,000 for it for three months.
35 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Product Placement Starts on TV

I wonder if we will see things like this....
Breakfast table scene...... Kellogs cornflakes (product placement) centre of table.... Weetabix packet , in view, but the name has been "erased" electronically", yet the product is obvious by it`s colour and logos...
It won`t worry me... either way... I only buy what I want,... the adverts on tv do not influence me one bit.... so "product placement" will have the same effect... if the Beeb and other stations can make a few quid, it should help to keep the licence fee down, and hopefully, go towards financing BETTER programs and not so many repeats..
Fixes: 105

I was always amused by a fridge in one of the soaps which said G E M S (S M E G backwards) Smiley
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Agree with shutter It won`t worry me... either way... I only buy what I want
Just watching  ISS on Nasa-tv, Bowen and Drew planning for space walk, best TV I've seen for a long time, (all those procedures required to run an extension lead)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just look at the free air time That Artmo gave the Swiss company,
Community Veteran

Nestlé is a good company and I have no problem in having a sensible discussion on their product placement.
Product placement isn't new of course.  It's been used in  movies for many years.  Manufacturers compete with each other to get their product on screen.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

This is a public service announcement -
Other coffee machines are available.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

Ah but would they pay £100,000 to have it on screen Undecided Undecided
johpal
Grafter

Two questions: 1) Will this mean a slow down in the rate hikes of the annual TV licence fee?  2) Will there be a reduction in the numbers, or length of, commercial breaks?
I suspect the answer to both is 'No'; so who benefits? We all know who will pay, one way, or another.  Roll eyes
In 'The Curse of the Were-rabbit', I do remember seeing a SMUG refrigerator in Wallace & Gromit's kitchen.  Wink
Community Veteran

The maximum length of commercial breaks has been increased this month to 12 minutes per hour Sad  Guess there's no need to rush to take a cup of tea now Wink
I think product placement only applies at present to commercial channels so it won't have any effect on licence fees.
Here are some details:
Product Placement
David_W
Rising Star

I thought the max length for commercials was 14 minutes per hour?
I'm not really bothered about placement, it'll probably add to the general ambience of some shows, having a kellogs box rather than generic plastic tub with generic corn based flakes.  Don't think it'll go over the top either, we prefer subtle which is why we hate that fella from the cilit bang adverts, BANG and the grease is gone!
Community Veteran

According to today's Sunday Times the max length is 12 minutes per hour and as from last Monday an individual break can be a max of 6 minutes.
community
Grafter

Anybody who watches German commercial TV will know that  normally the showing of adverts (Werbung) is announced
on screen, so you can go and make a cup of coffee and have a sandwich for the next many minutes ( I have never timed how long they last
but I estimate it takes fully 4 or  5 minutes)........I would welcome this on our TV.
Community Veteran

Where a programme contains a product placement a large P must be displayed at the start of the programme and at each commercial break.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Bird`s Eye , will have a problem then.....!  Cheesy
they only choose the sweetest peas and pack them with 1.5 hours of picking. ! ! !