cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems around Christmas

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Problems around Christmas

Not sure if I am unlucky but if anything goes wrong for me it always seems to be around Christmas when I have less funds than usual.
Yesterday the inbuilt oven packed up & normally I would have tried to find a  replacement heating element as the fan and top grill element were heating up but decided that after 25 years service it would be false economy and set out to purchase a new one.
Turned out to be an interesting experience as a lot of places sell these units (thank goodness they are of a standard size) but once you check them out they often say delivered within the next 7 to 14 days so if you want to purchase it and take it with you this can be a problem.
A Few places such as B&Q do have stock you can take with you but the range is limited and it was a non starter for me as I was after a Black model rather than stainless steel or white.
Ended up with Currys and a free next day delivery service but I guess for some people no oven or a grill for a week or more could be a problem and in particular for those with children. 
9 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Problems around Christmas

got my last one via the internet from of all places Boots, that was the best price
http://www.bootskitchenappliances.com/ovens/Ovens.aspx?cm_mmc=Boots-_-Boots%20Splash%20page-_-Boots%...
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
Not sure if I am unlucky but if anything goes wrong for me it always seems to be around Christmas when I have less funds than usual.

Don't get me started. If I'm not out of work then its the car. The first year the head gasket went, the next year the gear box blew itself away (so the first xmas bonus I ever got went on that and xmas was scrapped), the next month the oil pump packed up so the january sales were out, the next xmas black ice took the car into the front end of a volvo, last xmas i was out of work so the car wasn't even in use thankfully. Kinda dreading this year though.. no job but also no bad car luck last year.. I'm pretty sure its going to come to get me again. Worst thing is none of them were my cars.. they were on loan to me  Cry
Then people wonder why I don't have a very positive outlook. No family to help me out, kicked in the teeth at work (despite working harder than most and doing an honest job while the rest take the ****) and then for my efforts I get crap luck on Xmas. I wouldn't mind so much if I had some support from family etc but there is none. I have to look out for myself, watch my own back, deal with the predators of life who want to stitch me up etc and its bloody hard work. There is only so much of it you can take and bottle up before you become bitter.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Sprite you need one of these...
Community Veteran

With photos of people from my past attached to it  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Mine died about a month ago. I checked the thermostat fine, clicking on/off. Resistance checked the elements seemed fine, but no heat just fan  Cry
So I looked on-line and locally and then decided I didn't have the £££'s necessary to purchase a new one. So went looking 2nd hand, no-one has one locally, nearest on fleabay is 200 mile round trip  Undecided
So I raided my caravan and removed the "toaster" oven from it. Little oven that will handle warm up's etc.
Still looking for a cheap replacement but will probably wait till next year and see if I can get a job (see that pig out there passing the moon), higher priories at the moment with the cold weather are paying the fuel bills.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

never mind the pig, its a good job that cows dont fly
Community Veteran

Must admit I was unsure whether to attempt a repair or go for a new one.
A Couple of years ago the washing machine packed up so replaced the program control, a few months later the motor went, replaced that and a couple of weeks later the rubber gaiter between the drum and the door soon followed by a noisy bearing so cursed myself for dishing out all this money for nothing as all that cash could have gone towards a new machine.
I am of the opinion much of the modern stuff these days lasts no longer than 7 years so will just buy new in future as long as the plastic can take it....... and if it can't then s*d it I will not be around for ever.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I think most modern h/w is designed to work for about 4 years, if you get more then you are on a winner  Angry
Rampant consumerism has made the manufactures change products at least once if not twice a year. Which makes getting spares difficult down the line. When people change something just because the "colour is wrong" then we have problems. Me I try to fix it, if I can't then I look for another if I can afford if, or an alternative way of doing it.
Fixes: 125

Our washng machine has just packed up (well, 2 weeks ago). It is 6 years old and has followed us through three moves including when we looked after mum and dad and it was used almost every day.
We've decided that it'd be a false economy to get a repair because it wouldn't be long before something else goes wrong and, because we would already have paid out for the first repair, we'd have less funds and, therefore, we'd end up repairing again and probably spending £££s more than for a new one now anyway..
Coming up to Xmas there's gonna be a lot of offers and wll probably plump for one of those Buy Now Pay 12 months later deals. There's usually a £25 fee if you pay witin the 12 months but it wll help with budgeting oer the winter months.
Just wondering why many companies like water, electric, council tax, rent, mortgage, etc don't allow you to have a 'payment holiday' in December/January spreading the costs over the remaining 10 months. Yes, you'd end up paying more each month but it could mean less worry over the seasonal period when spending is often much higher Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still