Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problematic neighbour.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Problematic neighbour.

Hi guys,

Need some advice if I may.

We live in an area where the road is technically privately owned but at the same time as the public have a right of way its covered under the road traffic act as a public place (just like supermarket car parks).

We have one neighbour who every few weeks decides to let his little boy sit on his lap and drive his motor around the area - physically steering the car / van. Now I wouldn't be so bothered if it was happening elsewhere (private land, closed car park etc) however this is an area where people have their own cars parked that they rely on daily and if the little lad has an unpredictable accident and bashes daddys motor into one or two then there are going to be issues.

Today he's been out there again going round with the little lad at the helm. Sure its a slow speed but that is besides the point. The little lad is going to get addicted to it and want to do it more often and as he gets older anyone who tells him its wrong is going to be a spoilsport trying to ruin his fun. Somehow I doubt he'll wait until 17 to take to the highway either being that its almost natural at the age of 5 or 6. At the same time if little lad hits something and damages someones car I can't see his dad being overly helpful to get it fixed either.

Whats the way forward here? We don't get on with the dad but at the same time have no issues with him however what is happening here is not right but i don't want to get the police involved or cause any neighbourly hassle!

Ideas please!

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
42 REPLIES
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Problematic neighbour.

That's easily solved!

Record a video of him doing it on your mobile phone and show it to the Police. I know you don't want to get them involved but it's your only option. Explain this to the Police, they might suggest a way around it. He's committing numerous offences so they'll have to act. End of! 

Oh and no..., they won't tell him who made the video Police

Community Veteran

Seconded, video and police, points on daddy's licence and probably a massive insurance risk so higher premiums for him as a result... Smiley

I remember being allowed to do it once when I was little, was fun from a child's point of view, but, from a responsible adult's view, it's not a smart thing to do especially if it results in a crash, slow speed or not...

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Actually to follow this up with another comment.., if you fail to notify the Police and the little lad kills someone would you really want that on your conscience? 

Fixes: 47

ON a similar topic a family down our road have one of those mini-motor bikes and occasionally the eldest in the family (around 19 or 20 years of age) rides the bike up and down the road and footpath a few times before returning it to their shed.

There are a lot of cars parked on our road including mine and I worry about an accident and the resulting damage which I will have to pay for.

I've heard before of instances like this where the bike was seized by the police and crushed but with all police patrols done in cars these days, the chance of him being caught is slim.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Frustrating for sure but I think we all have to live with things like that. Of course in an ideal world kids wouldn't do that kind of thing but we don't live in an ideal world and well... kids will be kids. I did similar things when I was younger albeit in a local country park. You don't think about danger when you're a kid.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

I'd leave well alone m'self, there's enough hassle in this world without going looking for it or involving yourself with others - and to what end, trouble with your neighbour over little or nothing?

Keep schtum, keep safe..... and stay out of their way! Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman  "over little or nothing"..... so how much does it cost YOU to repair, replace your door, that has been bashed in, by said miscreant.... a fair bit more than "little or nothing"... to say nothing of the inconvenience, due to loss of motor for a few days,.... and if claimed on the insurance... then it will increase your next years premium... again.. a fair bit more than "little or nothing"...

Sorry... but you got it all wrong, this time....

@7up    &   @Strat  Do you have the 101 system operating in your area...  or even "crime stoppers"...  both of these can be used to report crimes...   also, if you keep reporting it, everytime it happens.. then eventually, they may do some real crime stopping..

Most Police areas have an email address that you can also contact them on....so, worthwhile looking up your local constabulary HQ contact us... info 

It`s only a matter of time before an accident happens... and will he own up to any damage and  be all apologetic,... and offer, ( or even pay up ) to pay for the damage?

Further down this kids life, he will be so addicted to the "fun" he had when he was a small child, that, by the time he is 10, 11, or 12 yrs old, he will be out there "joyriding" and having fun....

maybe even killing someone...

. that someone could by your child @7up

Community Veteran

If your road has a slope and no ones around release the handbrake on your neighbours car and point it towards the nearest tree.

Then when you see your neighbour tell him you saw his kid playing in it.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Certainly agree with all the advice given but can you get a good video of him and his son doing this without him being aware you are taking the video ?

The point I am making is that he will either know who reported him or have a good idea who it was, if he is uncertain then you can deny it was you but equally if he is certain it was you what could be the consequences for you ? Is he popular in the area ? Could he make life difficult for you ? After all you have to live there.

Makes it sound like I am suggesting you should do nothing, far from it, what I am saying is think ahead how you will deal with the situation once you have, quite rightly, reported him.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

billnotben wrote:

If your road has a slope and no ones around release the handbrake on your neighbours car and point it towards the nearest tree.

Then when you see your neighbour tell him you saw his kid playing in it.

No need for that, a couple of potatoes jammed up the exhaust pipe works wonders.

Fixes: 125

Have the other neighbours seen and/or commented on it this? Could you not have a quiet word with one or two to see how they feel about it and whether they support you in your views and actions?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Yes I know it's not really sane advice.

My neighbour used to have a visitor who always let his two little boys play in his car while in my neighbours house. I just happened to glance out of my window to see his car start rolling backwards down the road. One little nipper jumped out of the drivers side which was sort of lucky as the open door caught the big back bumper of a large estate car rapidly stopping it as the door bent back. Just before the madly running owner reached it. The shiny black BMW must have been his pride and joy as he looked like he was going to burst into tears. He had several tries at slamming the door closed and checking the car before he even looked at his kids. Now when he turns up it's own his own.

When people do stupid things there are often stupid consequences so 7up is right a crunch is inevitable. If he's lucky it may end like my neighbours visitor. The sole "victim" of his own stupidity.

Fixes: 47

shutter wrote:

@Strat  Do you have the 101 system operating in your area...

Yes but by the time anyone turns up the bike is safely tucked away in the shed.

We just put up with it until something bad happens.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

@shutter

Sorry shutter, but whose door has been bashed in?

Not sure how I can 'get it all wrong' when nothing has happened. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.