cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Toyota Prius braking system identified.

Community Veteran

Problem with Toyota Prius braking system identified.

Toyota have announced that thy have identified the software issue with the Prius Braking system;
9 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Problem with Toyota Prius braking system identified.

Nice one Chilly Grin
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

What ever happened to KISS.....?  put your foot on the brake pedal.................. compress some fluid.................... brakes applied.................. vehicle slows or stops? 
doesn`t really need a computer to do that does it?  Roll eyes
deekay
Grafter

Toyota are telling their customers to drive to their dealers in cars which have faulty brakes.
I thought it was illegal to drive a vehicle if it is known to have faulty brakes.
So, isn''t Toyota instructing its customers to do something which is both dangerous and against the law?
Shouldn't Toyota be coming to collect the car and take it to be repaired on a transporter?
Just wondering.
Keith
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

deekay, Yes to all.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

@ Shutter
It a Hybrid Car, half electric traction plus Petrol.  When braking it tries to preserve the energy into batteries before applying the normal brakes, it is this switch over where the hiccup appears, disconcerting but apparently not dangerous
Community Veteran

@deekay - There was a lawyer on BBC Radio 2 saying that legally - if you drove the car on the road and had an accident, you could find yourself in trouble if you knew of this defect.
i.e you knowingly drove the vehicle knowing had possibly faulty breaks.
tricky.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Prius Braking system

I often drive a prius.
Ram my foot on the brake and the car stops pretty quickly, gently 'toe' the brake, there's a funny motion feels like ABS kicking in, takes a few touches of the Brake to get the feel of it, then it becomes second nature.
Problem I have is standing at the lights the engine cuts out, dead silent, has me reaching for the start switch.
Community Veteran

Honda has started to re-call some of their cars due to faulty airbags - but not in the UK so far.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I appreciate the concern about this run of recalls for Toyota, but the level of adverse publicity they've got over this is in my opinion somewhat OTT. By that I mean you could easily get the impression Toyota were the only motor company that had ever had a recall. When in fact all manufacturers have recalls with some very serious safety issues involved from time to time without being subjected to this level vilification.
At least Toyota have not sought to deny the faults, as many other manufacturers have done in the past (mainly European makers) Peugeot denied for years they had a problem with bonnet latches that would open at speed, in spite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
I have a Toyota Avensis (not involved in either recall) don't particularly like Prius to drive but, I would buy another Toyota tomorrow.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.