Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem post

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Problem post

No not in here...
We have a problem with our received post at home, we get post addressed to around twelve different surnames with our (correct) address. Most of it is advertising junk mail from organisations, occasionally it is obviously some kind of account material that we have no connection with or any wish to.
This property was built for us new 12/13 years ago where no property ever existed before, nobody except us has ever lived here so the excuse that it is previous occupants cannot apply.
We are registered with the Mail Preference Service, which I think probably does keep down the un-addressed mail, but I'm not completely convinced as the post person regularly fills our letterbox with loose flyers and adverts even though I've asked them not to.
I have complained to the district sorting office but, they take the view that if the post is correctly addressed for the property there is little they can do to stop that which has the wrong name on it.
So where should I try next to take this issue to be resolved. To say that I'm letting this get to me is putting it mildly. Just exactly how does our private address become associated with other people completely unknown to us?
Edit: Oh yes, I've tried returning it sender with all kinds of labels stuck all over it, but it really doesn't work.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
9 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Problem post

The Mailing Preference Service is supposed to control junk mail addressed to a named person at the address. I too have lived in a house from when it was built and have received some repeated mail for an unknown person. After a couple of return to senders it has stopped. On such occasions that I have received junk mail addressed to me and I have complained to MPS the outcome has been totally unsatisfactory. Either no response or that the sender had provided  a satisfactory explanation which they did not share with me so I had no chance to challenge it.
The MPS has nothing to do with unaddressed junk mail. There is a scheme that is supposed to stop Royal Mail delivering such stuff but that will not stop other carriers nor will it stop mail addressed to "the occupier" or some individual that you have never heard of.
http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/how-do-I-stop-receiving-any-leaflets-or-unaddress...
Fixes: 125

We regularly get post addressed to all manner of different names. We've been here three years and it was empty for a year before that and the landlady lived here before then but none of it is in any known names.
Initially I 'Returned to Sender'. Now it just goes in the bin.
Strangely, we don't get a lot of junk mail with our names on but we do get junk mail. That, too, goes straight into the bin.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Do you 'tip' your postman at Christmas?
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Ah, in this day and age, shouldn't it be recycled rather than put straight into the bin? Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Ah! in this day and age of austerity and "greenness" it would be much better to not chop down trees to produce this rubbish in the first place.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Have you done an Experian or similar search on yourself to double check that fraudsters aren't using your address for fraudulent purposes ?
If you're the only people who are meant to be at that address, it may be worth doing a double check.
Community Veteran

Don't you think that this is sometimes the side effect of the internet age?
You unintentionally upset someone online, say ebay. They then use your email and address to join every trash site and junk mail sign up that they can find.
Fixes: 47

As I've posted before I have had problems with the Royal Mail, my letters and parcels going to other addresses and other people's mail coming to me all correctly addressed Angry
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

We get mail addressed to other names , I just write in BIG RED letters...... R.T.S. and put it back in the red post box at the entrance to Morrisons Supermarket....
Virgin Media keep sending me a A4 size envelope addressed to The Occupier... so I do the same thing, only I write their address on it too...
Not sure if the post office actually do return it to the sender.... or bin it... but I think I costs the original sender if it is actually delivered...
Any "junk mail" addressed to me with a "prepaid" reply... i.e. YES PLEASE send me more junk mail.... I fill in Mickey Mouse and other stupid things and post them back.... they are Pre-paid, so the orginal sender has already paid for it to get back to them .... as... JUNK MAIL ! hee hee hee.....
We are also plagued with the local take-aways passing leaflets around... and of course the charity collection bags.....
Do I get any.... NO  ..... Why?..... because... I have put this notice on my front door in a RED background....

PLEASE….
NO MORE JUNK MAIL
NO MORE TAKE AWAY FOOD LEAFLETS
NO MORE CHARITY COLLECTION BAGS ETC ETC
PLEASE USE THE BLACK BIN PROVIDED BY THE TELEGRAPH POLE
THANK – YOU

Seems to be quite effective.... especially as the postie does not put any junk leaflets through the door..... can`t blame him for the strange named mail... cos he doesn`t know who lives behind the door...