cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem fixed for £5

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Problem fixed for £5

Got another computer a few months ago, connected two external drives but the computer only recognized one drive. Constantly switching the machine on and off several times and it would occasionally recognize this drive which then worked fine with no error messages present.
Trying to find the drive in disk management just came up with the message to connect the device.
Both drives worked ok my my other computer and both were running XP.
By chance I needed another card reader as the current one could not read SDHC cards, purchased a Kingston 19 in 1 card reader from amazon (£4.99) plus postage.
When connected ,the computer went through the full list of hardware items on my computer.... x hardware is installed and ready for use, imagine my surprise when the second external disk drive now works fine.
So a cheap card reader solved my problems !
If every problem was so easy to solve.. and all by chance.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Problem fixed for £5

Sounds like the new card reader created some additional drives so when the external drive was connected again it was given a new drive letter so showed up.
Windows can be funny sometimes and allocate a drive letter to an external drive that is already in use, and thus does not show up. I've had this happen with memory sticks quite often, especially when several different makes had already been used on the system.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I have two spare (old) HDD that I sometimes use on an external usb caddy..... I can only put one on at a time, but the computer seems to recognize them as individual items, so If I put one in, it is Drive F, but the other one is Drive G.  regardless of having no drive F installed at all
Community Veteran

It appears that windows sometimes remembers the drive letters it assigns to particular external drives/memory sticks and assigns the same drive letter each time it is inserted, but does not bother to check if the drive letter has already been allocated and currently being used since it was last installed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Perhaps Microsoft should bring out a update to do that then..... ?  Roll eyes