Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private companies and parking tickets.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Private companies and parking tickets.

The number of parking penalty tickets issued by private companies shot up to a massive 5.65m last year according to the RAC. A fifth higher than the year before and far above what they were a decade ago.

This only goes to show what an appalling money making scam car parking has become and where it has now become far more profitable to fine people rather than charge for parking - itself a complete and utter rip off in many cases.

And who helps these robbers, the government no less by selling them access to DVLA records that's who. It's nothing less than legalised conspiracy in my book aimed at shaking down the motorist even more. 

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
15 REPLIES
Champnet
Aspiring Pro

Re: Private companies and parking tickets.

Be careful where you park........

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Just get chauffeured about in those big shared limousines called buses, no need to worry about parking then... Cheesy

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Champnet

Where can you park these days? Wink

Champnet
Aspiring Pro

A car park  ?

@twocvbloke ‘s right, if you have a good bus service then use it, you have to consider all options.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@Minivanman

Whilst I agree with ever point in your inital post you must admit there are some lazy (censored) when it comes to parking, I have seen people park on double yellow lines, across peoples drives and other places.

As for car park fines, well how many are just ignore them and end up with a higher bill.

But like you I feel strongly about the DVLA having the right to pass your details to others, funny how the data protection act only applies when the government wants it to.

Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

And who helps these robbers, the government no less by selling them access to DVLA records that's who. It's nothing less than legalised conspiracy in my book aimed at shaking down the motorist even more. 

Access to vehicle registration records, for people with "due cause", has been permitted for decades. This was allowed even when vehicles were registered at the local county hall prior to the DVLC. It was allowed to for the public to make enquiries after a motor accident or those being troubled by someone parking on their private land. Nowadays there's at least twice as many vehicles competing for the same space.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Champnet wrote:

@twocvbloke ‘s right

Shocked

*faints*

Champnet
Aspiring Pro

@twocvbloke : Enjoy the moment....

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Champnet

Well as free bus pass holder I often use it to pop into town, but when there is the fortnightly shop to do or like yesterday having to pick up four bags of horse poo compost, then perhaps going by bus is not a good idea.

Bit of shopping this morning as well as a dentist appointment and the car park was full to bursting so we had to wait for someone to leave. Not always so simple.

Anyways, this is more about being fined by private companies rather that buses, cars and parking per se. Smiley

Champnet
Aspiring Pro

Parking is a problem but I stand by my origin comment  “Be careful where you park........”

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@AlaricAdair

What you said is correct but why is it necessary ?

If you are involved in a accident then is it not up to your insurance company to check with the DVLA who the car belongs to.

If someone is injured the police will most certainly check.

If someone has parked on your private land without permission then just clamp their car, or if you are in a good mood leave a note on the windscreen to say this is private land and your car will be clamped if you do this again, take a photo of it on your mobile phone.

Alternatively a small notice on the wall to say vandals operate in this area and cars left here are usually a target...you have been warned.

Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

@twocvbloke wrote:

Just get chauffeured about in those big shared limousines called buses, no need to worry about parking then... Cheesy

Ah @twocvbloke What will that do for poor @Minivanman?. All that waiting in heatwaves and Beasts from the East for late or cancelled buses, could be bad from him, not to mention NHSTicked off, and we don't ( some of us) want to lose him.Funny

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Indeed @AlaricAdair and there is no real issue with that, it's just that on one hand the government are unhappy with current bad practices by the private parking industry and on the other they are actually facilitating it.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Champnet

'Parking is a problem but I stand by my origin comment  “Be careful where you park........”

I am careful about where I park and although I might grumble about those charges I do pay and display but, it's back to the issue of private parking companies hand in hand with the government making increased profits from unsuspecting motorist.

Just to add insult, where I usually park in town there is (or was) a free to use loo, only now it's 20p to pee.