Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private Toll roads dont work -M6 loses out

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Private Toll roads dont work -M6 loses out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11132747
Private toll roads are not a cost-effective answer to traffic problems, the government has been warned.
A report by the Campaign for Better Transport said the UK's only private motorway toll, the M6 Toll, had not significantly cut congestion.
Its owners lose tens of millions of pounds a year on the road, near Birmingham, campaigners added.
5 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Private Toll roads dont work -M6 loses out

I used it when it first opened and was at a reduced rate.
Once it was full price I didn't bother as it wasn't really a charge I could pass on to customers.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I use it as often as I can, when going to North Wales... it is a super road, with nice smooth surface..... unlike the bumptey bump, that wrecks your suspensions and gives you headaches,  going through Brum. There is little traffic, and it is a pleasure to drive on .... gives a nice break from the hassle of the M6 and other congested roads....
the only problem I have, is actually finding the southern end (entry)... as it is signed about 2 miles from the junction of the M 42 (7a) but then it is not mentioned and the overhead roadsign says M6 South (London)....it is not until you get to J9 that the M6 Toll is signposted again!...
Community Veteran

I like to use it, for similar reasons to Shutter.  Smiley
I think it would get more traffic if the toll was a bit lower (especially for cars).
And dare I suggest a higher speed limit......... Lips are sealed
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I'm with Shutter and HPsauce.  I use it whenever heading down to the in-laws, and is always a welcome sight.  We've even used it on Christmas day, when the roads have been very quiet.  We like the services on there as well.
Phil
gswindale
Grafter

Don't use it anymore, but it was a great route when it first opened - took 30-45 minutes off my journey time up to my parent's old house.  They lived literally 5 minutes away from one of the junctions (just South/East of the services at Norton Canes) and the additional charge for use was more than outweighed by the time saved (and possibly fuel?).