cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private Success

Community Veteran

Private Success

There is an interesting article in the Sun today about Hinchingbrooke Hospital in Cambridgeshire.  This hospital was not performing well and running at a loss under the NHS.  The running of the hospital was taken over by a private company and they have completely turned it around.  The hospital, still an NHS hospital, is now one of the best in the country. 
NHS Turnaround
This is just one example of private involvement in the NHS and maybe needs to be examined to see the reason for the success and how it can be used more widely.
28 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Private Success

Hmmm...do you honestly believe everything you read?Huh
This is my local hospital. Like all political statistics, they move the boundaries to get the best public persona.  What do they call it?..Oh yeah, spin doctoring.
In this weeks local paper there is a report on inquiry into girls death after an asthma attack, and another about the damages caused by proposed changes to mental health treatment .
Certainly looks nicer though.....and it's getting a Starbucks...or is that the improvement they are talking about? Angry
Community Veteran

The Care Quality Commission would not agree with you.  They inspect all hospitals to a common standard and rate Hinchingbrooke highly.
In a Patient Survey conducted in June the hospital was rated amongst one of the best in the country. 
Community Veteran

That would be the place where 320 jobs (including 46 nurse posts) are being cut from 1600 existing? No doubt the Nursing staff are being "regraded" i.e. pay cuts too; while having to work 12 hour shifts.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artmo
The Care Quality Commission would not agree with you.  They inspect all hospitals to a common standard

The CQC aren't exactly known for being great at what they do artmo. This is the quango that has allowed nursing homes to neglect people and also approve them. They only do drastic things when they're exposed.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
That would be the place where 320 jobs (including 46 nurse posts) are being cut from 1600 existing? No doubt the Nursing staff are being "regraded" i.e. pay cuts too; while having to work 12 hour shifts.

You're using information that is 12 months old.  Recent patient surveys show a very positive response from patients using the hospital.
Neither of us have first hand experience of the hospital but we can only go on what patients are saying.
Razer
Grafter

We can only go on some report from someone that alleges what patients are saying. i.e. spin.
Lies, damned lies and statistics.
Community Veteran

Quote from: doris
Hmmm...do you honestly believe everything you read?Huh
This is my local hospital. Like all political statistics, they move the boundaries to get the best public persona.  What do they call it?..Oh yeah, spin doctoring.
In this weeks local paper there is a report on inquiry into girls death after an asthma attack, and another about the damages caused by proposed changes to mental health treatment .

Whilst you may be correct about the 2 reports in your local paper you need to look a little closer into the information.
Firstly, Hinchingbrooke is a district general hospital.  It does not provide mental health facilities.  Mental health is the responsibility of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust. They have been using a ward at Hinchingbrooke for their services but will now be using a purpose-built 104-bed mental health unit in Peterborough.
Was your comment on the girl who died after an asthma attack referring to Elouise Keeling?
Community Veteran

Neither of us have first hand experience of the hospital but we can only go on what patients are saying.

Some of us might know staff who work there and have seen the truth behind the varnish of the propaganda.
Community Veteran

Yes you're right I do.  Being in the same region I sometimes meet medical, nursing and admin staff at various NHS England meetings. I have not heard any adverse comments about Hinchingbrooke which cannot be said for other hospitals in the region. At a recent meeting at Papworth they were being congratulated on performance.
Community Veteran

Yes you're right I do.  Being in the same region I sometimes meet medical, nursing and admin staff at various NHS England meetings...

... but not actually any of the residual Nursing staff from Hinchingbrooke?
Community Veteran

I included nursing staff in my comment. Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It's a very complex subject, you can get some departments in a hospital which provide excellent services whilst another part may not be very good, usually it's the areas like Mental Health and elderly people who require long term care where the majority of problems are discovered. I Use the word discovered as many patients in this group are either unable to complain or it is not in their nature to complain.
The CQC are a joke, they usually make prior arrangements to visit the hospital and then look at the statistics produced by the hospital hence the reason why many hospitals get good reports, if the reports are not very good no problem, alter the statistics ! I was pleased to see 2 senior nurses removed from the Nursing register due to falsifying figures in their department, just a pity a few managers did not join them as no doubt indirect pressure was applied causing them to do this, by indirect I mean, "if the performance does not improve we may have to close this department"
Fixes: 125

Quote from: gleneagles
It's a very complex subject, you can get some departments in a hospital which provide excellent services whilst another part may not be very good, usually it's the areas like Mental Health and elderly people who require long term care where the majority of problems are discovered. I Use the word discovered as many patients in this group are either unable to complain or it is not in their nature to complain.

I'll also add that people in need of mental health care probably have no-one else they can compare their level of treatment with and, therefore, may not even know how bad/good their treatment has been.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

@Mav and gleneagles, you make some valid points about mental health.  It's not an area I know a lot about other than it is now mental health trusts that deal with mental health patients and not acute trusts such as this one.
You were right about CQCs but as a result of recent problems the system has now been changed. Visits are made unannounced and more people are involved in the inspections.  Anyone with an interest in getting involved can apply to be a lay member representing the local community.