cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private Security Doing Police Job

Community Veteran

Private Security Doing Police Job

In nearby Brentwood a private security firm is offering residents security for £1 a week.  A good idea or the thin edge of the wedge Undecided Undecided
Private Security
6 REPLIES
alanb
Grafter

Re: Private Security Doing Police Job

I can see why it may seem attractive, but I think it is a bad idea to give police powers to any business.  Angry
I'll be disgusted if Westminster passes any laws that allow private security companies greater powers than any private citizen. It will show that the current bunch of troughers are no better than the last lot, and in particular, have not learned from the cowboy clamping debacle.
Denzil
Grafter

The article says no extra powers have been given to the company, but that they have been vetted and trained by the police. I would imagine/hope that this training consists mainly of telling them what they are and are not allowed to do in law.
I do agree their powers need to be carefully regulated, but many businesses already use private security companies to look after their premises. I don't see why, in principle, individuals shouldn't use them as well, if they wish to, as long as the companies are responsible and professional.
geoffp0
Grafter

Just add my bit here, I am 70 yrs old and I work for a security company at Harwich Port, Yes we are allowed to body search passengers/lorry drivers ect but that is the extent of our powers, so even if The police use security companies to patrol certain areas they will have NO powers, only to report back to the police if they see any problems.
As for the dodgy wheel clamper, yes a lot of nasty people jumped on the band wagon as it was a good money earner for them, all security officers have to be licenced by the SIA at £300 a year, if it is proven that you mis-behave ect then you loose your licence, you can also get spot checked at anytime by the SIA
To obtain your licence you have to have an enhanced CRB check and if there is anything on your record you don't get licenced.
Geoff
nadger
Rising Star

I watched the item on BBC Inside Out ( East) and two guys were cold calling Brentwood trying to get business at £1/week per household.
Essex Police Federation didn't seem too happy about the idea that these people could be licensed, by the police, and would be able to issue fixed penalty notices.
Be interesting to see if it does take off but personally I wouldn't subscribe - my neighbour one side is serving Met officer and retired BT Police sergeant two doors the other way  Smiley
Community Veteran

Wonder what they would do if you had paid your £1 but your neighbour had not and there was an incident in the street outside your homes Undecided Undecided
nadger
Rising Star

That thought had crossed my mind as well  Roll eyes