cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private Plane crash in Hampshire....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Private Plane crash in Hampshire....

A private jet plane arriving from Italy with Osama Bin Laden family members on board has crashed into a building and smashed some cars at Blackbushe Airfield in Hampshire
All on board were killed....
Nobody on the ground was hurt..... 
Saudi Arabia Emabassy issued a very nice "condolences" type statement.
Any comments ?
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Private Plane crash in Hampshire....

I've got sympathy for the car owners  Roll eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

my thoughts were....... Pity he wasn`t alive....... then he would know how the people affected by 911 felt.....
Not that it would have made much difference to them.... or to him...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Osama Bin Laden was pretty much estranged from his family. Someone I know knew him as a teenager, they say he was weird even then. The Bin Laden family were as a whole horrified by his actions. The people who died in the plane crash were not necessarily terrorists, nor did they necessarily provide support for terrorism.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Indeed they had cut with him before 9/11 and publicly disowned him after.
Community Veteran

They were highly regarded in Saudi Arabia and has been said distanced themselves from his actions.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Not uncommon to hear of incidents where a single family member has done something very serious and ends up in prison and hated by the public, their relatives who are completely innocent can also be the target of hate, they may even suffer more.
x47c
Grafter

Prelim report - more a statement of known facts is out
See
https://assets.digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk/media/55c367e0ed915d5346000010/S2-2015_HZ-IBN.pdf
Distracted by TCAS, hot and high, far too fast, floated a long way down runway
Theoretical impossibility to stop  from that point and speed.
Still the question to be answered in the full report is why did he not go around?

Fixes: 47

Was he concerned about other aircraft in the immediate airspace.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

A little late..... but.... in answer to your query.....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33809095
Community Veteran

Seems the pilot was at fault. I wonder if he had been taken ill Undecided
x47c
Grafter

Who knows - it is all most bizarre
There is a diagram of his circuit available on the web from the public ADSB data.
Badly flown circuit, still turning quite close to the runway, far too fast/high, not stabilised, no possibility whatsoever of stopping by a long way on the tarmac and simply piles of the end into the raised berm which would have launched him up again like an a/c carrier ski jump ramp , cleared over the bushes to crash down onto the carpark.
The possible causes that have occurred to me bearing in mind pilot had 11,000 hours so not inexperienced are
1. Pilot sudden semi-incapacitation - you know mini-stroke sort of thing so judgement was non existent.
2. Pilot was not actually flying at all - someone else was.
3. Pilot was being 'pressurised' to land on time by the VIP passengers.
We can now but wait for the full AAIB report once they have assimilated all the data, aircraft CVR/FDR, who was sitting where, got the ATC tapes, radar tapes from anywhere tracking it, interviewed witnesses on the ground - there were quite a few of them, checked for any airport and offsite security CCTV, postmortems, and the rest.
Sometime next year I'd guess for the report and sadly it might be one of those never solved...maybe all we might get is: pilot failed to abandon approach and go around for reasons never determined.
If he felt ill en-route they could have gone to the much longer (and more expensive to land at) Farnborough nearby.
Remember this was a single pilot operation.
Given that someone of this experience is unlikely to let someone else land or pressurize him at what is a difficult short multi-operation airport I'm going to go for some form of increasing medical incapacitation round the circuit.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Do aircraft of this type also have black boxes or are these only used in larger aircraft ?
x47c
Grafter

Yes
It has a combined single unit which covers both the Flight data and the cockpit voices - one hopes its all readable and dare I say it fully functional at the time.
I've no idea how extensive the data recorded in terms of both the flight data and the number of voice inputs (mic' and ambient cockpit) compared to large public transport aircraft.
There may well be other data captured though engine monitoring for maintenance purposes recorders plus some navigation/GPS sort stuff stored in the memory of digital instruments but this may well not have survived the crash and fire.
In addition to my earlier list the AAIB will be looking at you can add the pilot's activities in the days leading up to it - rest, flying, sleeping, and anything else he did or ate.  I believe it came from Italy so they will be looking at hotel bookings checkin/out times...and so it goes on.
dick:quote