cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private: No Turning

Fixes: 121

Private: No Turning

Returning from a week's residential OU course yesterday for some reason I seemed to notice many more of these signs than before which got me thinking...
If they relate to a private residential property how legally enforceable are they, if at all? And, what, legally can the owners of the property do if they see someone turning in their drive?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

21 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Private: No Turning

FIrst of all,.... they have to see you do it... and secondly, they have to have proof that you did it..  and how do they do that? install cctv "just in case"... seems to me to be a "snob value" thing... like having double glazing was when it first appeared.. or a satellite dish on the front of your house...

Quote from: shutter
... seems to me to be a "snob value" thing...

I agree with you, there, shutter.
Those notices have never stopped me from turning when the need has arisen - especially in a narrow street where almost every house has one Roll eyes
It wouldn't bother me if I had a drive and someone uses it to turn Cool

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

I forgot to add....... if/when the need arises. I also do a turn in their drive way... ( reverse in , drive out..)... and as a parting shot..... "OK... Sue me..... "... nobody ever has .........yet !..  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Mav
how legally enforceable are they, if at all? And, what, legally can the owners of the property do if they see someone turning in their drive?

They're not enforceable.
Sure they could technically take you to court if they can be bothered looking into a DVLA lookup, applying for your details, somehow getting the name of the driver at the time from the registered keeper and taking them to court with evidence of the driver, proof the sign was visible and seen, proof of damage etc but there is no offence for trespass if the land does not have a barrier and you can 'stray' on to it.
The only thing the signs do is put up a pshychological barrier in the head of most motorists and often the land owner doesn't own the road side part of the driveway where they put the sign anyway  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I don't have a sign on my driveway but a neighbour used to use it to turn in until I pointed out that he was damaging the tarmac at the bottom of the drive when he did the three pointer. If it wasn't for that, I'd have had no problem but as it was the same place over and over where his back wheels used to scuff a bit it was an issue.
Now he just leaves his car outside my front hedge even though he has a large space at the front of his house. He also leaves his bins in front of my hedge for days on end - not a malicious thing but annoying regardless.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I've always thought that if I owned a property with a drive in a road where turning was difficult, I'd like to have a sign which read:
"You're welcome to turn here"
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

Quote from: 4C
"You're welcome to turn here"

With your enterprising son/daughter manning the toll booth. Smiley
x47c
Grafter

Except most can't actually reverse turn properely....
I live on the first house on a rural road - so I get them all who have made a mistake and want to go back.
However
They 'miss' the driveway and reverse over the neatly mown grass/stone edging - more work for me
They hit the gate post on occassions - so that's yet more work for me
So yes I do get rather fed up of it.
to be fair the advent of satnav has reduced it
The week before christmas is the worst. All the delivery companies have subcontracted the extra work to 'joe public' out to earn a bit  of cash who have no idea where they are going, are in a tearing hurry to meet the schedule and don't care.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: x47c
They 'miss' the driveway and reverse over the neatly mown grass/stone edging - more work for me

I'm out and about doing house calls in a large area and some of the grass/stone edging I would question it belong to the property but is in fact part of the highway, more obvious when adjacent properties have fencing a couple of feet further back. 

On reflection I don't think any more of my car than just the overhang beyond the back wheel actually ever goes into these properties.
Now would anyone actually drive onto a property a do a three point turn totally within their drive if it was large enough? Cheesy

itsme
Grafter

I do, but the drive is not visible from the house.
Community Veteran

Now would anyone actually drive onto a property a do a three point turn totally within their drive if it was large enough?

No... I`d use the "roundabout" with the fountain, just outside the front door....... !  Cheesy
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
On reflection I don't think any more of my car than just the overhang beyond the back wheel actually ever goes into these properties.

Many times the car does not actually enter the drive, which is private property, but simply reverses onto the pathway between the road and driveway.  Nothing you can do about that.
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

We had a new block paved driveway and wall installed a few years back and I get so annoyed when people reverse into my drive to turn around (we live 3 houses from the end of the road) as usually it is young lads who don't do a proper three point turn but a six point, I'll just let my car keep rolling to within an inch of my wall turn instead. It will be hit one day and I expect whoever does so will just drive off if they think they haven't been seen. If done properly you could easily turn a car round by just pulling up onto the pavement without using the driveway, but people are usually in too much of a hurry to do this.
Maybe a sign would be a good idea....  Smiley