cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private Dental Charges

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Private Dental Charges

Does anyone know if there is a "bible" for the general public, to see what the average private dentist should be charging for his services?
E.g. Root Canal work....... £x,000.00p     bridge work  £y,000.00p   crown...£z,000.00p
and if you think you have been "overcharged" (scammed), what can be done about it?   Is there a "Dentist Ombudsman" or "trading standards" department to complain to?
5 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Private Dental Charges

There's some info here:
What price?
and with the OFT
Quote from: shutter
and if you think you have been "overcharged" (scammed), what can be done about it?  Is there a "Dentist Ombudsman" or "trading standards" department to complain to?

There seems to be the Dental Complaints Service

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Thanks, Mav...  will have a look...  Wink
Fixes: 125

I thought there'd be something there to get your teeth in to and fill in some time
Now brace yourself for more puns...  Cool Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Pun's!! goodness me no!
To cut an extremely long story short; several years ago I went to a private dentist who operated through one of the private schemes (a bit like BUPA for dentists) I won't name the organisation here but, it is very well known in the field.
To be taken on by the scheme necessitated the completion of over £1000 worth of work first, including root canal and the replacement of existing crowns due to receding gums (natural by age) exposing the supporting teeth. Numerous other more minor work was ordered before the "policy" was in force.
After several years of routine inspections and hygienists attention, it seemed each time anything "major" was required it miraculously wasn't covered by the policy and needed to be paid for separately.
Eventually declined to renew the policy and left the scheme feeling thoroughly ripped off.  
As an observation, why is it that dentists never approve of work carried out by previous dentists?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I use NHS dental services but I know that dentists I've used, now and in the past, all have a menu of costs for any private patients on their books.  I assume they are allowed to set their own prices.  This is similar to hospital surgeons who operate privately.  Medical insurers limit the amount they pay for an operation but the surgeon is at liberty to charge his own fee with any addition paid by the patient.