cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing problem

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Printing problem

I have a printing problem that I haven’t encountered before. I am in the process for the forth year running of producing this year’s poster for my bowls club, the poster is produced in MS Word using text boxes over an enlarged clip art graphic, the main content is printing normally so doesn’t need to be discussed here.
But, I am as in previous years trying to add a small picture of the club badge (something I have done several times before without any problems), but this time <with a new printer> the badge will not print correctly, to explain:
The badge picture is reduced from a full size photograph of the badge to about 3/4inch square in a MS Word picture box copy/pasted into the poster.
So far so good, on screen it looks right, in print preview it looks right, but when printed all I get is the extreme top left hand corner of the badge sized as from the original photo in the 3/4inch picture.
So question; why does the 3/4inch size picture in Word on screen and print preview look right with a complete badge, but it won’t print correctly?
I’m tempted to think the problem lies with the new printer (Canon MG6450) but I can’t think why as everything else its been called to do so far has printed absolutely correctly. There doesn’t seem to be any options to affect the sizing of pictures in the MS Word picture box settings.
Printing a copy of last years poster that printed the reduced sized badge normally on the old printer (that I don’t have access to now) now also produces the incorrectly sized badge on the new printer…strange!!
Any ideas?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Printing problem

Try printing it to an image (or pdf using cutepdf writer) and then printing that instead and see how it comes out.
I've had to do this a few times to get around similar problems! Let us know how you get on eh?!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Try reducing the image to the correct size using a photo edit program before inserting it into the word document
Community Veteran

Thanks gents, tried that Oldjim but it didn't work, certainly I could reduce the size in photo editing, but it still showed in the printed MS picture box in the original size, in spite it looked right on screen.
However by a bit of experimenting have cracked it...by copy pasting the photo into a Word text box instead, from there I could do whatever I wanted to size wise, and, it printed correctly. I couldn't though "play" with the contrast, colour rendition, brightness etc. fortunately they were acceptable.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 123

What version of Word are you using?
I've got Office 2007 and right-clicking on the picture and selecting Format picture... then choosing Picture from the left-hand side allows me to make brightness and contrast adjustments.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Office XP  (V10 I think that is) and it has that option as well. Thanks Mav.. I didn't really look for it as I reasonably happy with picture as it is without tinkering with it. I was more concerned about it printing correctly.
I do though have one other issue. The badge itself is a photo (taken by me) of a jacket pocket sew-on badge. that was shot on an off-while background. I've closed down the text box so that it just about fits on four sides, but the badge is a wavy heraldic shield shape.
I would very much like to draw around the badge to isolate it on the background so I can change the background colour or indeed have it transparent. However trying to do this with a mouse is proving to be very difficult. I've tried increasing the size to try and keep to the shape with very little success, it takes a great deal of concentration and a steady hand and needs to be completed in one "hit" as it were.
Drawing pens used to be available for computers, are they still, and would they make this job easier?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Community Veteran

Just like that DB thank you. I had a delve into Amazon after posting my previous and some of these things can get into the hundreds of £'s, even at £29.99 for your suggestion seems a lot for a one-off job probably never to be used again I expect.
Back to the drawing board I suppose!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Regarding removing the background.... here is an example of one I did a couple of years ago...
http://nemosphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/changing-background-on-picture.html
and how I did it....

If you haven`t got Photoshop.... you can use PhotoposPro... which is FREE and very similar..an excellent full featured photo editing program....
http://www.photopos.com/Photo-Pos-Pro-Free-Photo-Editor.asp
Community Veteran

Wow! that's quite a piece of software given its free (although donations are acceptable) Thanks shutter I will be trying that when I've got a bit of time to concentrate on it.
However, you need to be careful during the setup you're not installing other bits of software you don't actually want, look out for the "no thanks" tick boxes. It did though install something called MyPCbackup without asking first, which eventually uninstalled. It was also slightly annoying the Windows firewall needed to be switched off to complete the installation. With the result I got some unwanted ads before I got it switched back on. 

Fixes: 47

Instead of working round the edge of the central object I have often selected the central object and then inverted my selection to the background.
I can then edit the selected background at will.
Currently using Photoshop Elements 11.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 123

Another program worth looking at is PhotoPlus Starter Edition
It's a cut-down version of their PhotoPlus software of which I have the latest version on the PC but use Starter Edition on my laptop.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still