cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer promotion

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Printer promotion

In today's Daily Mail (and probably other papers too) there's an Argos promotion for a Canon MP480 all-in-one photo printer/scanner, for £48.94 (RRP £97.89 it says) since my i865 is probably on its last legs I decided this would be a good idea to purchase. My local Argos had 2 in stock.
While using the auto-pay machine I decide to avail myself of the 10% off cartridge offer, paid and waited at the counter. The first item to arrive was the colour cartidge. As soon as it arrived I decided I no longer wanted to purchase the printer, as it was a single cartridge for colour, my i865 is a 5 cart machine,and much more economical to just exchange an empty cartridge than ditch the single type because one of the colours has run out.
Happily, after a minor haggle (because the cartridges -separate one for black- are not covered for refund unless they are faulty) Argos refunded the entire amount.
Moral: look before you buy...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
11 REPLIES
Euge
Grafter

Re: Printer promotion

Thanks for the tip, I completely agree with it but I've always ended up with colour only coming in one cartidge, sadly.
Plus my old printers don't work with my new xp 64 bit machine and no drivers exist for them either. Irritating. I can't really understand why old printers haven't been moved over to xp and vista since they are usually pretty plug and play devices.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

If your "old" printers are HP, then go to the HP site, and look for their "Universal Printer Driver",,,,, one driver for ALL printers, and Vista too !....
My HP deskjet 840c did not want to work with vista, so I downloaded the above, and it now works !...

N/A

petlew - don't be hard on yourself - computer hardware is a nightmare as there is just so much of it and so many things to take into consideration. I agree with the cartridge business - my Epson has separate ones so is lest wasteful.
Quite fancy a wireless one but am not going to bother for the reasons outlined above. In any case, mine is running OK at the mo and can obtain (genuine) new inks at a reasonable price from Phoenix.
Glad you got sorted - always found Argos to be good on returns/refunds.
Community Veteran

Thanks poppy, I've always used Canon printers (to date 6 of them) and had little or no trouble with them -except the cost of their cartridges- but having said that I suspect there are other brands that are much more expensive to run. the current 3 year old i865 was the first I purchased with individual carts, I wouldn't buy anything else now.
@shutter, agreed, there is a lot of old guff said about incompatibility problems with Vista, whilst I accept that I usually use pretty much mainstream products, the only item that I have failed to use with Vista is a very old Zip drive that must be getting on for 15 years old. Everything else has worked including an equally old tape streamer, I don't want to use it, I was just curious to see if it would work...it did, and some old (admittedly, simple graphically) card games that were originally designed for Win 3.1. However other users experiences may be quite different to mine.
Remember the old but popular M25 screensaver? works quite happily on my Vista.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I've talked about this before some time ago in another thread (so sorry to anyone who thinks I'm repeating myself), but don't be fooled by the whole 'individual cartridges' thing. Yes, individual cartridges do mean you waste less ink... but on the flip side, the printer manufacturers charge a considerably higher cost per ml for such cartridges. After all, would you honestly expect them to do something that saves you money? Roll eyes Then you have to factor in the fact that individual cartridges mean you're more frequently swapping cartridges, which hits your ink use as most consumer-level printers will make all colours go through a cleaning/charging cycle whenever one cartridge is changed.
Having said that, I've done some research and that would not appear to be the case this time - the cost per ml is quite a bit cheaper for your old printer. The reason for that, I'm guessing, is that your old printer was considerably more expensive when it was new. What printer manufacturers basically do is, the more money you spend on a printer, the cheaper they make the consumables - this is necessary because some printer manufacturers actually make a loss on the sale of their cheaper printers. So, I suspect, to achieve anything like the 'cpml' of your old printer, you'll need to buy quite an expensive new printer too.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Be3G
you'll need to buy quite an expensive new printer too.

Thanks for your concise reply Be3G, you are probably right. Assuming I continue with my allegiance to Canon, to achieve the same sort of economy (actual print costs ignoring purchase price) I will have to pay nearer £200 for a 3 in 1 machine. a bit six of one, half a dozen of another, however, I do think -and I could be entirely wrong about this- the print quality of 5 cart printers is better than single types, but I have nothing but a personal opinion to base this on.

Community Veteran

Concise? Huh As for print quality, there's absolutely no difference whatsoever - whether cartridges are individual or contain multiple colours, the ink's exactly the same. The difference could, however, be that printers with individual cartridges tend to be more expensive models, which therefore offer higher print quality anyway.
Community Veteran

I am reminded with the Vista compatibility issues, that I do have one other anomaly; There was/is a popular board game called "Upwords" that was reproduced in computer format by a company (whose name I forget) that was taken over by Atari. I cannot get this game to work on my Vista Home Premium, yet it works happily on my wife's Home Basic, albeit directly from the CD-rom. Atari cannot come up with an answer to this, and are probably unlikely to since Upwords has been rehashed by another different company recently.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I think I remember the printer thread that Be3G is referring to, because I am sure I posted to that as well Smiley
I've not had a inkjet for some time, had my first in 1998 when at Uni, and then another a couple of years later. I realise they have probably come on a bit since then, but I paid a fair amount of money for both printers, back in the days when they cost far more than £50.
Both were crap. My first Canon one had separate colours for the colour - CMY and Black. It had a tendency to consume ink when I wasn't using it, and when I did, the print quality was so poor with streaks, that I would be lucky if it would only require half a dozen cleans before actually printing solid output. I'm sure I went through a couple of cartidges just by cleaning.
Had a Epson after that, which was even worse. It didn't have quite the same ability to consume ink, but still required about 6 cleans before it would print anything. It had the chipped cartridges, giving the added benefit that the printer would be 'helpful' in telling you when it thought the cartridges were empty, rather than when they actually were (not that the chips were designed to make third-party cartridges more difficult to produce of course). It got even better with that one, cos eventually it won't print anything even with a new cartridge. So that got binned as well.
Moved to lasers, and I am so happy with mine.
It's bulky as hell, and toners cost a fair amount. But it works as soon as I switch it on and they seem to last ages.
I'm a bit biased with injkets, so I can't offer anything more constructive as far as they're concerned. I guess I've had a bad experience with those printers.
It is getting silly how much they're following the 'razor and razor blade' business model now though. It must work out cheaper to buy a new printer each time.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have a Lexmark that uses some form of chip, currently has a Tesco Branded Black and a genuine Lex colour, it said the black was empty right from the start and that my colour has been empty for the last 100 prints, I think it is nearly there, got blueless banding on one print yesterday Roll eyes  But at least the jets are on the cartridge unlike the Epson, so no harm done
Community Veteran

@pierre, thats a possible weakness/advantage (I don't know which) of Canon's that use a print head (replaceable at vast expense) I always understood that "headed" carts are more expensive than un-headed, its the 6 of one, half a dozen of another syndrome again.