cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer & power do I

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Printer & power do I

connect it to the switched pc supply (kills everything no power usage)
Leave it connected to the mains all the time.
It is a Brother laser, it has a standby power of 0.5W and a on power of 62W, print power is 421W (not sure what the power on power usage is) it is set to standby in 2 min.
So I don't know if I will save more power by leaving it on all the time (standby) or by having it powered by my pc supply.
At the mo it is on the pc supply, but this means every time I power up the pc it goes though a startup cycle (this is 2-3 times a day), pc normally on for 10 hours a day.
I tried to figure it out but thought someone else may have been here before me.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Printer & power do I

The easiest way to save energy on something you're not using is to switch it off... Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

The cost saving is absolutely negligible 4.38kwh per year - about 50p - and it probably isn't a good idea to power off the printer that often
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Just be thankful it's not a SOGAT printer. I dealt with them in the 1980's They want lots of power but produce little output.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I've compromised. I have left it plugged in to the switched supply, but switched off until I need it.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

With an ink jet you would waste expensive ink each time you start up. I assume this is not the case with toner for a laser printer.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Hairy
It is a Brother laser, it has a standby power of 0.5W and a on power of 62W, print power is 421W (not sure what the power on power usage is) it is set to standby in 2 min.
So I don't know if I will save more power by leaving it on all the time (standby) or by having it powered by my pc supply.
At the mo it is on the pc supply, but this means every time I power up the pc it goes though a startup cycle (this is 2-3 times a day), pc normally on for 10 hours a day.

My laser stays on standby (plugged in 24/7) as it's a big old thing and every time you turn it on it goes through a test print procedure and spits out 3 large glossy photos of various things. It's easier just to let it sit there quietly doing nothing than turn it on every time it's needed. That and it's networked so the missus can use it as and when for her documents.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I have a dot matrix printer, power it up it adjusts the head position a couple of times and then it's ready, all within 1 second... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Community Veteran

Last time I saw a dot matrix printer (actually in use) was at an mot station a few years back. Thought they were all deceased. (queue parrot joke)
I remember my first printer a 7pin DM one (ok I had a teletype before but never actually got round to interfacing it), must have cost me about £100 then.
In the 80's I bought an HP LJ III beast of a printer, still have it, but not been powered up for many years.
The brother laser was off freecyle as it was printing grey pages, new toner cart and all is well (£7 from ebay!)
Community Veteran

DM printers are still used where carbon copy receipts or invoices are needed, so they're still available to buy new, mine's an Oki Microline 280 Elite (the elite part meaning it has a USB interface), works great, doesn't fanny about with warming up or sucking expensive ink cartridges dry, just switch it on, click print, and it prints, all in less than 10 seconds (depending on windows' derping about), simple... Grin
Community Veteran

Yeah but give me a colour printout please ;-) OK my laser is B&W as well, but it does 20ppm and doesn't sound like a jack hammer while doing so ;-)
Fixes: 123

Both my printers (mono laser and colour multifunction) are powered 24/7. The laser because it uses so little power it isn't worth turning off and the multifunction because of the checks it does on start-up which I am certain uses a fair amount of ink and would probably cost more in replacement cartridges than the electricity used.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

My Cannon inkjet is powered 24/7 for that reason, it was just the power the laser used that got me wondering whether it was worth putting it on the switch or not.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
Yeah but give me a colour printout please ;-)

I rarely have a need for colour printouts, so, B&W dot matrix does me well... Cool