cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer Steganography

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Printer Steganography

Introduced to trace counterfeit bank notes. The authorities can identify the printer used by using records from the printer manufacturer who can trace the supply chain to where the printer was sold.

Using security cameras, number plate readers and credit card records it can then be traced to the end user.

So in short if you are thinking this is a quick way to make money by printing it you could be wrong.

Perhaps this is how they have caught those who send anonymous letters.

Smiley

37 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 31

Re: Printer Stenography

Sorry @gleneagles but don't you mean steganography?

Community Veteran

@Mook

Yes I do, thanks for the correction.

Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

On my colour printer the code is printed in very pale yellow in the top left of an A4 sheet. View with blue light/filter.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I would assume that knowing it is there ways will be found to bypass it or stop it in some way.

Though much more low tec Photoshop used to object when you tried to scan most types of currency. Which was easily bypassed with a patch.

Though it's built into the hardware I would doubt that it's impossible to alter in some way.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Re: Printer Steganography

But they would have to find the printer first and if the have already done that, then how far away can the guy that printed them be?

Maybe I'm a bit slow here, but I don't get it - but anyways, I'm off down to the pub to sell some of my printed fivers for a tenner each. 

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
johnashtone
Dabbler

Thanx for that I wasn't aware that individual printers were tracked. 

It answers why Epson say my printer doesn't exist?  I refused to register it.  And the person who bought it, and gave it to me didn't buy it, they had changed their choice at the store for a simpler model, as it was ostensibly given away, with a computer?  Epson presumibly have my friend owning a higher tech model, for which they keep trying to sell him colour refils lol 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

One fun part about the tracking is if, like me, you bought the printer as spares/repairs off ebay, and prior to the seller having sold it, who knows where it had come from originally, so keeping a track on them from factory to landfill, not much point...

However, from a forensic point of view, police can use the printer ID on the paper to find out who printed what, and any suspects they had would be checked for that model & serial and use that as evidence... Smiley

There's a reason notes made with glue & bits of newspaper were so much more effective... Funny

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

And if you use 3rd party inks instead of originals?

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran

So, has anyone got a good quality colour printer for sale ?

I can pay you by bitcoin but you would need to leave it in a grid location provided by me.

Wink

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

Saw a couple on the carboot couple of days ago, some dodgy looking geezer counting twenties.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Pete11 wrote:

And if you use 3rd party inks instead of originals?

It still prints the secret codes, as it's part of the printing process regardless of ink used...

Community Veteran

At least you can pick a printer that doesn't do the yellow dots but may or may not still have some other secret mark.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

In that case.."Wasn't me officer, I got it from some dodgy geezer off a carboot, he was counting a wad of twenties"

Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

@Minivanman wrote:

But they would have to find the printer first and if the have already done that, then how far away can the guy that printed them be?

Maybe I'm a bit slow here, but I don't get it - but anyways, I'm off down to the pub to sell some of my printed fivers for a tenner each. 

@Minivanman Let us know, when you change your address:

HMP .................. post code will not be required.Funny

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.