cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printable DVD Media

Community Veteran

Printable DVD Media

I am doing my friends wedding video on Saturday as a wedding present. I will of course be editing and producing DVD's. I will be making this as professional as possible for him. I have used white inkjet printable discs in my Epson Stylus R220 before and find them to be fantastic (so long as they do not get wet).
I have came accross silver printable discs on the internet that claim to produce an interesting effect. http://www.totalblankmedia.com/ridisc-printable-24x-silver-25-spindle-p-1996.html
Has anyone used theese? Are they good or should I just stick with white ones? The disc will likely just have a photo or photos on it.
12 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Printable DVD Media

Print it on a white label, but don't use a inkjet printer, use a Colour Laser Printer.
You can get one from eBay
Lurker
Grafter

I'd stick with the white, but if you want it to look professional, don't use a colour laser, use your inkjet. Tongue
Colour laser printers are great if you have a professional quality one, but the majority of affordable ones are colour capable, and although you do get results in colour, they are nowhere near as faithful to your design as an inkjet would be.
I wouldn't worry about the discs getting wet - most people don't tend to watch in the shower. Wink
Tyreal74
Grafter

we use in our office white printables and shove them through our epson r1800 no issues with the cds we give to clients you cant beat proper lithographically printed cds but inkjets the next best thing - oh and id avoid labels tbh, nothing worse than trying to put a lebel on and stuffing it up
Lurker
Grafter

Its impossible to mess up the labels if you use the applicator, we had to do around 100 for our wedding day (CDRs on tables with SAEs for people to send us their pics of the day)
Not one of them caused a problem in application. (I use the Fellowes system for mine)
Tyreal74
Grafter

you can buy applicators? doh! lol
Community Veteran

I used to play in a band and made lots of demo cd's printed with my Epson. When handed out at gigs in bars sometimes one would get a pint spilled on it. That is how I know that the ink runs. Should be ok for a weding video though. I also have the fellows kit with the applicator. I may try a disc with a label and one printed when the time comes to decide. I will not be buying the discs until the video is ready to record as I am not sure if it will require double layer discs or not yet.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I had a thread going in here a couple of weeks ago for advice on Light Scribe disks, Tried'm out, but won't be using them again, much prefer the white printable type, although it must be admitted Light Scribe wouldn't be affected by having beer spilt over them.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Never really thought much about lightscribe. Would need a lightscribe drive anyway.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yes of course Sean, it so happens this PC was received with one already installed. With my almost passion for trying out electronic dodads, and then forgetting about them, it at least saved that expense, the (small) pack of Light Scribe disks I bought can at least be used up normally.
Don't bother, save your money.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
SteveT

The solution I've come up with for printable discs is to use a inkjet fixative spray, which comes in cans.  This gives the discs a nice sheen and protects against fingerprints.  If you've got a lot of discs though it can take a while to spray them all!
Cheers
Steven
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Is this what you were referring to?
SteveT

Yes, but the one I bought is called Ghiant Inkjet Fixative spray.  Loads of suppliers, just try googling it.  It comes in a glossy, satin, or matt finish.  I got the satin one, which gives a nice sheen to the discs.
It smells a bit as you spray though, so open a window before you use it!
Cheers
Steven