cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Princely titles !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Princely titles !

At the moment I am in Wales.... and here, there are quite a few pubs called " The Prince Of Wales"....
which brought me round to casually wondering, why we, the English, feel it is necessary to have a Prince (and Princess) of Wales, yet do not have a Prince of Scotland, nor a Prince of Northern Ireland, ....
going further afield.... (as N.I. is a province of U.K.).... who is the Prince of the Channel Islands...... Prince of Gibraltar...... Prince of The Falklands  ? ? ? 
any others that we are missing out on?  Cheesy
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Princely titles !

Prince of the Isle of Dogs maybe...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 125

How about a Prince of Pratts Bottom Grin

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

The Prince of Much Binding in the Marsh.
That'll be beyond the ken of some people.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

Sadly not me Cry
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

How about this one from the East Cheam Railway cutting on 18/01/1956 The Student Prince
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
Sadly not me

Sorry shutter, just horning in on your thread.

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: shutter
which brought me round to casually wondering, why we, the English, feel it is necessary to have a Prince (and Princess) of Wales, yet do not have a Prince of Scotland,

There is a Prince Of Scotland. He's also the Prince of Wales.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Scotland
David_W
Rising Star

Without looking on Google..... The Prince of Wales was a title given to appease the Welsh (I'm Welsh) or maybe to give a Prince a job, if you go back in time you'll find the King being the King of Scotland or some such (James was one wasn't he?) but no Welsh Kings of England.
Being Welsh and living in Cornwall though makes Charles my Prince and my Duke, at the same time, and eventually my King.
randpwar
Grafter

Quote from: David
Being Welsh and living in Cornwall though makes Charles my Prince and my Duke, at the same time, and eventually my King.

I wouldn't put your mortgage on it  Wink