cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prince Willy leaving the RAF.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Prince Willy leaving the RAF.

I can't help but wonder how much tax payer money he's wasted?
All that expensive training and he's stuck the job out just a few years.
Now the search and rescue is being privatised, he's jumping ship to look after himself in the name of 'charity' (and we all know how well they pay at the top).
This stinks!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Prince Willy leaving the RAF.

Understand your point about "easy life" going down the "charity" role.... gets his trips paid for by the charity... gets his food paid for ... by the charity.. gets nice holidays in foreign countries... paid for..
as regards the taxpayer and his training... makes no difference if you are a "royal"... or .. ME....  He did his army training, as a member of the Army.. he did his flying training as a member of the RAF.. he developed his skills, and became a very respected flyer, doing very dangerous missions... just like every other RAF/Coastguard Search and Rescue Helicopter pilot... all down the the training, he did, paid for by you and me.. After "doing his time"  he decides to leave... he is not "jumping ship"... personnel in the armed forces sign on for a specified number of years.. they then have the choice to re-sign on, or leave... Just like me..
My training cost the taxpayers , something in the region of £2,000 to £2,500 After which I spent 10 years "enjoying" my service life... being flown to other countries, at taxpayers expense, and travelling halfway around the world on ships, at the taxpayers expense... enjoying the food, the entertainment, and the lifestyle.... on top of that... They ( the taxpayer) PAID ME to do it !...
I left the Navy, after 12 years.. ( my time served )... I could have signed on for another 10, and got a pension... contiued with the lifestyle, and the pension would have been paid by..... The taxpayer.... however I chose to leave and "go my own way"... because.... the Navy was shrinking, and I couldn`t see me travelling to nice places anymore, if I signed on....
itsme
Grafter

This was expected and couple of months ago the RAF did say that normally they would ask for the person leaving early to pay back the training costs but will not in William case.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Repaying training costs is more common than you might think if you leave the training employer early.
I joined a multi-national bus company to get my PCV licence, but left after nine months and had to repay £1100 of the £1700+ costs. I was though fully aware that this was a condition of my training. The amount to be repaid being on a sliding scale over two years.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Some very good points Shutter.  William spent 7 years in the Armed Forces - a lot longer than some people spend in a job Wink Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artmo
William spent 7 years in the Armed Forces

Really? - I could have sworn it was 3 or 4 at the most?
Certainly seems funny how he's leaving now the search and rescue is being privatised.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Well I'm sure the many people who's lives he helped save over the last few years probably feel it wasn't a waste of taxpayers money !
Our government wastes or gives away far more taxpayers money to immigrants who have never ever paid into the system every day than it cost to train him so I'm not too concerned about that being a waste.
Im not particularly a fan of the Royals but good luck to him I say, I can't think of anything worse than performing 'his Royal duties' even if everything is paid for. I hope he gets more time to spend with his wife and son than he might of had in the RAF, they all deserve it.
Javert
Grafter

Well said, rja66!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
Quote from: artmo
William spent 7 years in the Armed Forces

Really? - I could have sworn it was 3 or 4 at the most?
Certainly seems funny how he's leaving now the search and rescue is being privatised.

This was stated in the BBC report.  I think part of his service was in the Army.
itsme
Grafter

Think some of you are missing the point. The RAF stated a couple of months ago as William exit was expected that when an individual undertake the training they agree to a minimum service length. This service length has not been meet and normally the RAF would ask for pro rata repayment of training fees. In William case the RAF will not.

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/RAF-set-waive-Prince-William-s-ends-spell/story-18762309-deta...
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@itsme
I do agree on that point, rules should be followed by all, royalty or not.
nadger
Rising Star

My first reaction is to say " leave the lad alone as he's about to spend the rest of his life living in a  goldfish bowl"
With regards to Search and Rescue being privatised it's not something I'm in favour of as the only real source of well trained personnel is the military.
RichAllen
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
Think some of you are missing the point. The RAF stated a couple of months ago as William exit was expected that when an individual undertake the training they agree to a minimum service length. This service length has not been meet and normally the RAF would ask for pro rata repayment of training fees. In William case the RAF will not.

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/RAF-set-waive-Prince-William-s-ends-spell/story-18762309-deta...

Meh, they should make him pay it like everybody else, it's not like he can't afford it, or simply ask Charles or Camilla for an advance on his pocket money!