cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prince William sleeps rough for homeless charity

Community Veteran

Prince William sleeps rough for homeless charity

Prince William has spent a night sleeping rough in an event organised by a charity for the homeless.
William slept in a sleeping bag near Blackfriars Bridge in central London last week, as part of his role as a patron of the Centrepoint organisation.
He said he could not "even begin to imagine what it must be like to sleep rough night after night".
Clarence House said a "small element of security" had remained with the prince during the night.
Prince William said the experience had deepened his understanding of homelessness.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8426630.stm
I think this prince and his brother are shaping up rather well - much more down to earth than their elder family members.
Will must be on leave from his SAR helicopter OCU squadron. - Don't think he is operational yet?
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Prince William sleeps rough for homeless charity

Full credit to him.  Still has his mother's touch in these matters.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Prince William would have been better giving the money that it would cost him / us for his stunt!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I`m with you Gary!..... these "stunts" hardly bring it home....... well, maybe, just for a few hours..... then everyone, including HRH will be tucked up under their nice warm duve`s and the problem is forgotten.... yep ! me too.... I`m just as guilty as everyone else....
I only support one charity, but I don`t go doing "stunts" to bring it into the public eye for 24 hours..... but there again,................... I`m a nobody.....  Undecided
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Ses who that you are a nobody?  we all are some one!  Wink
scootie
Grafter

i get knocked by my friends when i hand pound coins to begers on the streets of manchester, my friends allways say are you stupid they will have a flat ect.
well if ive got a pocket full of coins that would only get spent on stuff of no real need to me i would rather take the risk in giving some to some one who it may make a huge diffrence to in getting a hot meal, can a beer what ever it is they may need to see them through there day.
if they have a dog i allways stop and talk to them to check on the health of the dog and offer to buy them a couple of tins of dog food if they need it. you will find the homeless peoples dogs are some of the most loved and cared for dogs in britain, some homeless people get stuck when they have a dog to keep them warm ect as when charrity's ect help them to find flats the people who run the homes very rarely take dogs in so the people would rather sleep rough than be parted with the dog that has kepted them alive at points on the street
the sadest homeless guy i came across was on crimbo morning of 2006 when i was walking my dog on the golf coarse in the dark and my dog was being stuborn and not leaving this certain bush/tree alone and on my way back when the light had come up i could see a guy and his dog getting out a tent, turned out my dog one legged his tent to make sure his dog knew who was boss  Grin . sorted him out with smokes, food ect and that was the cheapest present ive ever given but one i know was appricated.
all i will say is you will be surprised as to why some of these people have ended up sleeping rough, its not allways the persons fault and those that think if that was me i could pick my self up and get back on track easy are miss guided and should be ashamed when they walk by a homless person on the streets with that stuck up attidude.
all humans can suffer from break downs and find them selfs in this sittuation, so when you next see some one sleeping rough at least spare a thought for them because it can happen to any of us.
i think will is doing the right thing as if he had just donated money we wouldnt have a thread on this issue would we guys  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Well said Asbo.... I think that the biggest problem for the general public, is distinguishing between the "genuine" homeless person, and those who make a living of it... I certainly can`t tell the difference.... I have been fortunate in life, so far, as never to have been in that position..... and as you say, it is not necessarily caused by the person themselves.
scootie
Grafter

al be honest ive slepted rough many a time in my late teens, i was lucky that it was an on off thing for me and not long lasting.
manily spent most my time with the eco warriors that was protecting  stanton moor from a quarry, thoe they was homeless in a sense as they didnt have flats, houses ect they wasnt the same as city homeless people in the fact they had heated tree houses ect, but it still gave me a great insight to what life is like for people with out bricks and motar to go back to.
p.s i didnt just rock up at there protest camp, i knew most of them pretty well as for a couple of years before my time on the streets they was often seein at matlock as they made there way to and from the camp at darley dale
Community Veteran

Agreed Asbo - i very rarely give cash to people on the street - BUT - i do give money to charities who help such people.
And Centre Point is one of the good charities that do this in London, along with
The connection at St Martin in the Field at Trafalgar square.
http://www.connection-at-stmartins.org.uk/
http://www.centrepoint.org.uk/
Regarding Prince William, ok I respect those who are anti Monarchists ( I;m not ) but Will is following in his mothers & fathers  steps and does lots of this sort of thing - including living in Africa and supporting charities there. Every charity needs it Patrons to help publicise and whatever else non may feel about the Royals - many of them are very good patrons of charities and do a lot of work for them, and produce results far in excess of what many other patrons can do.
Community Veteran

If William has done nothing more than highlight the plight of the homeless he will have done some good.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

You have to feel a bit sorry for the guy, he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. What do we expect him to do? renounce his way of life and take to the streets permanently? realistically no! He can do little more than highlight something that I feel he has genuine concern for, and I suppose in that respect this "stunt" has worked temporarily. His mother (who in most other respects personally I had little time for) has ensured he and his brother have a lot to live up to.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

It has to be asked if some of the homeless actually want sheltered accommodation.  In London this year enough beds were provided for all the homeless but still some are sleeping outside.