cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prince Philip's Faux Pas

Community Veteran

Prince Philip's Faux Pas

I always enjoy the remarks made by Prince Phillip such as the time he was talking to British students in China and said, 'If you stay here much longer, you'll all be slitty-eyed.'
He came out with a great one-liner yesterday at a reception for the president of India, attended by 400 British Indians.  He greeted businessman Atul Patel by glancing at his name tag and saying, 'There's a lot of your family in tonight.'
Don't you just love him? Grin Grin
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Prince Philip's Faux Pas

A few more of his gaffes that I've found.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/416992.stm
Community Veteran

In 1995 he asked a Scottish driving instructor: "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test."

priceless!
In 1966 he provoked outrage by saying: "British women can't cook."

my gran could; my mother couldn't.
In 1996 he caused an outcry among gun law reformers when he said: "There's no evidence that people who use weapons for sport are any more dangerous than people who use golf clubs or tennis rackets or cricket bats."

i agree.  most murders and assaults are performed using other than firearms.  beatings and stranglings appear to account for the majority.
At the height of the recession in 1981 he said: "Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed."

i can understand that it might seem ironical.  he forgets that he's stinking rich and that there is no wiggle room on benefits.  all pennies have to be watched and it's a tedious chore.
the only reason he apoligises is because it's the done thing.  his habit of putting his hoof in his gob reveals his humanity.  he's the only royal who seems faintly real.  he doesn't try to kid anyone he's perfect.
Community Veteran

No mention of Prince Philip and his ability to say ‘interesting’ things can go without a link to Hugh Dennis' voiceover of him from a couple of years ago on Mock the Week. Grin (N.B. Video contains some slightly adult language.)
Community Veteran

Great video, I've not seen it before.  Thank you.  Got my day off to a good start Grin Grin