cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pricing the Elerly out of their home

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Pricing the Elerly out of their home

I See that some in the Labour party support the idea that it's wrong for a single elderly person to be living in a big house whilst large families are struggling to make do in small flats and that a Land Tax in place of the Poll Tax would force some of these people (mainly elderly) out of the family home they have known for years and into smaller accommodation.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Pricing the Elerly out of their home

The politics of envy Sad
I wonder if they will take the same line with council housing where non-deserving cases occupy the property.  Two cases that come to mind are Bob Crow and Frank Dobson MP.  Both live in council properties and both earn salaries of £100k+.
Community Veteran

Funny, I thought this was a current government proposal........
pin2011
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
I See that some in the Labour party support the idea that it's wrong for a single elderly person to be living in a big house whilst large families are struggling to make do in small flats and that a Land Tax in place of the Poll Tax would force some of these people (mainly elderly) out of the family home they have known for years and into smaller accommodation.
Wasn't it some 'quango' charitable foundation who started the ball rolling on this housing problem?
I can't recall the full name but I think it was some 'pin stripe suit' who was suggesting that old people should 'downsize' and make more property available for the larger families.
Did anyone else see the Panorama programme the other night about romas using children to beg for money in London?
Nice work if you can get it!!
Community Veteran

The downsizing idea came from Tessa Jowell, ex Olympics minister.
Community Veteran

I wonder if T, Bliar will give up one of his 6 homes Undecided There's only him and the wicked witch at home these days. Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artmo
The politics of envy Sad

I'm not so sure its politics of envy artmo but more the politics of practicality. Is it practical for a family with 3 kids to live in a one bedroom flat? - when an old person is living in a 4 bedroom house that the council lets them stay in? - Sure if they own it fair enough I can see the point but if its a council owned place I think its a ridiculous waste.
I wonder if they will take the same line with council housing where non-deserving cases occupy the property.  Two cases that come to mind are Bob Crow and Frank Dobson MP.  Both live in council properties and both earn salaries of £100k+.

Shocked Seriously? - Thats just wrong isn't it.
I wonder if T, Bliar will give up one of his 6 homes Undecided There's only him and the wicked witch at home these days. Wink

LOL!
As a side note I think anyone rich enough to own that many houses should be forced to let the homeless use them through the winter months.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

@Sprite, I don't think the suggestion covered only council housing.  The original suggestion was aimed at any elderly person living on their own in a large house.  If they own the house what has that got to do with any busybody?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

One of the problems with society is the breakdown of the extended family with all the share resources and support which comes from that. this will be required in the troubled times coming
Our larger home allows us to accommodate our kids and grand kids if they need that and somewhere to hold family get togethers which we try to have as often as possible.
Moving grandparents into smaller accommodation splits up families into smaller units Sad
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Fixes: 125

Quote from: Sprite
The politics of envy Sad

I'm not so sure its politics of envy artmo but more the politics of practicality. Is it practical for a family with 3 kids to live in a one bedroom flat? - when an old person is living in a 4 bedroom house that the council lets them stay in? - Sure if they own it fair enough I can see the point but if its a council owned place I think its a ridiculous waste.

I agree with PeterLoftus. Bear in mind perhaps that old person has lived in that one house all his/her life, saw the children grow up there, has good neighours, knows and loves the area, lost his/her spouse/partner and is now coping alone. What would it do to that person if he/she is made to move? Would that be fair?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

JamesM
Grafter

How's about we stop letting the immigrants in, and giving them houses. Then there would be enough houses for all the British people.
It won't matter soon anyway, another couple of cold winters and there will be no elderly people left because they can't afford to heat their houses in this rip off country.