cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pricing a 2-year-old PC

Fixes: 124

Pricing a 2-year-old PC

My mum's PC is just sitting in the dining room not having been used since around September/October 2012. It was bought new from Aria in March 2012.
We're thinking it may be an idea to try and sell it and put whatever we get towards a laptop for her as she can't really sit up to a desk for long any more.
[quote=PC specs - bought for £349.99]Gladiator Inspire 3300 MKII
• Cooler Master Classic Black Micro Tower Chassis
• 500W OCZ CoreXStream 80PLUS Power Supply
• AMD Llano A4-3300 2.50GHz Dual-Core Processor
• 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 (2x4096) Memory
• TP-Link 300Mbps Wireless N PCI Express Adapter
• DVD +/- RW Drive
• 500GB (7200rpm) SATA III Hard Drive
• Graphics: Radeon HD 6410D Microsoft® DirectX 11 Graphics
• AMD A75 DDR3 Motherboard
• Integrated Front USB3.0 Media Card Reader
• Microsoft Comfort Curve Desktop 2000 Wired Black USB Keyboard & Mouse Bundle
• Cable 2 Meter Power Cord - UK
I bought it without an OS and installed a spare copy of W7 Home that I had but am thinking of selling with without the OS.
[quote=Monitor specs - Bought for £129.98]
Iiyama 24" (PLE2409HDS-B)
LCD/TFT 1920 x 1080 DVI HDMI - Black Bezel + Speakers

I did look on eBay to see if I could find something similar to compare prices without much luck.
Can anyone help with having a go at pricing the system for sale, please?
P.S. not sure if this should be in hardware so please feel free to move it if required.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Pricing a 2-year-old PC

the unfortunate - and unhelpful answer - is not a lot for the PC
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

stick a couple of £5 led strips inside the case and list it as a "gaming" pc with W7 on it and chances are you will get about £300 maybe more...
at least that's what I'd do and have a buy it now price of $500 incl P & P with a best offer option (so people can offer you a price above around £450) with it listed as an action and the reserve set at about £250, that way your getting enough to buy something like a second hand surface pro tablet for her (better option than a laptop due to weight and portability and operating temp when on lap)
and yes I know w8 isn't great for everyone, but for a tablet its brill and with the touch interface a much better option for people who like to use a consumer unit from there favourite seat or even from bed......
besides tablet rock for oldies Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

That is false advertising and if that is what you would do I suspect that you would soon get a lousy reputation
That standard of PC new without an operating system is about £250 with a 12 month warranty
Community Veteran

The processor really lets it down here - I would say you'd be lucky to get around £150 for the unit without the monitor.
nanotm
Pro

not really the pc is comparable with those used for gaming and so long as its listed as used there's no false advertising
I've got good feedback on eBay and if someone isn't knowledgeable about the components its there fault for being a stupid buyer.....that said I sold my last pc when I replaced it to the local cash converters for £400, it was 4 years old all I did was a factory restore after wiping the HDD, so it worked just like it was new (and it only cost £300 new) no false advertising required ......
there's plenty of not so bright people out there and all they want is something that works without the £1000 price tag (although I sold it complete with kb/mouse/monitor and speakers) with a not to bad performance on games that machine is probably better spec'd than many current brand new systems available and described as "perfect for gaming"
Community Veteran

I think someone's in La La land again Roll eyes
I recently bought a desktop PC on ebay. It was a refurbed model with a good spec. W7 Pro installed and a 3 month guarantee. It cost me £89.
nanotm
Pro

when selling its about maximising the price you can get by upselling the product, its up to the savvy shopper to find the bargain, the last pc I bought as a ready to go system was priced at £500  with all the parts brand new with a 1yr warranty, it should of cost about 1k but I got lucky with the final price of the auction....
similarly you can see any number of what I would consider bad systems listed with lots of bids for about the same price
but as with anything its all about the luck of the draw, I got a pc some years back 9 months old full system listed as a bad purchase and faulty, I suspected it was just in need of a good clean and decent thermal paste from the fault description, I was correct and resold the system as fully working "move forces reluctant sale" it achieved 5x more than I paid for it originally....
I'd agree with doms's assessment of the cpu but with the gfx card its not going to bottleneck so there well matched parts in that respect besides anyone who would bid without understanding what each part means deserves to pay to much IMHO and certainly its a business model that's been working extremely well for the likes of PC world for years !
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
not really the pc is comparable with those used for gaming and so long as its listed as used there's no false advertising
Utter rubbish - you don't have a gaming PC with on board graphics http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/?gid=770&graphics=Radeon%20HD%206410D
nanotm
Pro

its not on board its part of the APU which forms the core of plenty of gaming systems in the last few years, anthill flog there systems as gaming utilizing on board ic's though which are far worse at performance .....

is an integrated GPU in one of AMD's processors
from the opening line of your link.............
PitchBlack
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm
I sold my last pc to the local cash converters for £400, it was 4 years old  (and it only cost £300 new)

You are full of [Censored] mate.
@ Mav, probably the best thing to do is have a look on ebay for the separate components, you would probably get more selling them separately.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Mav unless you sell it as a student pc you won't get much for it, as its far from powerful.  A PC depreciates faster than cars once you own it, that and the tech in them is out of date in the new year when new components come on the market.
So £200-300 maximum
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Fixes: 124

Interesting replies, thanks.
My original thought was around £150 to £200 including monitor but without OS.
@pitchblack Not sure that I want the hassle of taking it apart and selling separately but will bear it in mind.
Having used the PC a few times when at my mums it is certainly not sluggish and, bearing in mind my own is very fast and powerful, I didn't really feel it held me back. Then again, I never tried editing/rendering video on it. It plays 1080p video files without problem. Not having any pre-installed garbage may be a issue for those looking for office-type programs but it may be suitable for someone wishing to install a version of Linux Undecided
I may start by putting an add in the local newsagent as that will make delivery/collection a lot easier. If I do go the eBay route I certainly wouldn't up the ante for  advertising as I wouldn't want to have issues with a return or poor feedback (also, I'd hate to have been misled when making a bid and would definitely complain if I had been).
There is a possibility of SWMBO having it and would still want to ensure we give mum a fair price.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

@Mav, what did you pay for the PC originally?  I feel circa £200 is a little high for a 2 year old PC.  It will be interesting to hear how much you get for it.
Showing my lack of technical knowledge is it possible to remove and reuse a copy of Widows?  Surely once activated it can't be done.
Community Veteran

As far as I remember, OEM Windows can only be used on one machine. Retail Windows can be used on many machines although only one at a time and you may have to call Microsoft to get it activated.