cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price match by Sainsbury

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Price match by Sainsbury

This tells me how more expensive they usually are.
Just completed the weekly shop and received a voucher on checkout
We check our prices and deals on brands against Asda and Tesco daily and today you would have paid less - £3.76 off next shop
As an icing on the cake also bought some red wine - individual price £10.99 - special offer 2 for £10 and 25% off if you buy 6 bottles (that's me stocked up for Christmas  Grin Grin
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Price match by Sainsbury

Tesco compare their prices with ASDA via their website.  It is the total bill that they compare so if you have one genuine reduced item in your shop this can negate any where Tesco may be a few pence dearer Sad
Community Veteran

supermarkets' profits in this country are around 9%, whereas on the continent they are around 1 and 1 quarter per cent.  often the markup on some items is in excess of 40%.  that's why they can, in effect, subsidise the lesser quality foods in the 'economy' packs, some of which are good value for money.
Community Veteran

We're just the cash cows exploited by most big businesses. Angry
alanb
Grafter

Sainsburys have a good scam going here.
Yesterday, I was given a voucher saying 'your shop was £3.00 cheaper here today' .
Well of course it was cheaper, I bought two packs of coffee that were heavily discounted, but for all I know I may have paid over the odds for all the other (unbranded) products I bought.
hmarshy
Grafter

I'm a Sainsburys shopper and the voucher I got on Saturday morning is for 2p!!  Smiley
Makes you wonder whether it was worth printing the voucher.
alanb
Grafter

Once I believed that Sainsburys were the best of a bad bunch. Not any more. They try to manipulate their customers just as much as the other supermarkets.
I have two packs of prepared ready to eat fruit in my fridge from Sainsburys. One weighs in at 190 grams and has a label saying it contains '2 of 5 a day' portions. The other is more than 50% heavier at 320 grams, and it apparently also contains '2 of 5 a day' portions. Apart from that oddity, what happened to the idea that we were supposed to have 5 different portions of fruit and veg a day?
Their 'traffic light' labelling on packs of food also looks like it designed to confuse. In Sainburys it always seems to apply to whatever they have decided is a 'portion'. Showing details for the entire content of the pack, and leaving the customer to work out what their portions are going to be, would be more useful for most people I imagine. No doubt Sainsburys would deny that they choose portion sizes that are small enough to make the labelling look good. But, why the hell should they decide that a tiny pot of Houmous (for example) is five portions. If you have a family of four, are you really going to dole out four portions of Houmous and leave one in the pot to make sure nobody has a bigger portion than Sainsburys think is right?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

They also rely on some customers being poor at maths.
Not  uncommon to see the total cost of 2 smaller packs being cheaper than one large pack even though it has be reduced in price.
tinto
Grafter

We live in a town with a population of around 20,000 and I kid you not, our supermarket choice is ASDA or Lidl, although Sainsbury has plans to build a supermarket in the next year or so.
Last week we got the usual leaflet at the ASDA checkout, but this time I read it, and found that if I carried out an online price check which showed that our purchases were not at least 10% cheaper than the same items in the opposition stores, we'd get a voucher for a fiver off our next shop, and yabadabadooo, we qualified
There is a caveat of course, you have to spend more than £40, and the voucher has to be presented within a time limit, but our weekly shop usually exceeds £40 anyway, so I'll be doing the price check every week from now, until the scheme ends.