cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pressure Washer

chuffchuff
Rising Star

Pressure Washer

Any suggestions as to the type to go for? We have a large patio that needs a once a year clean, mainly dirty as opposed to moss etc. Nilfisk have good reviews as does some of the Karcher but the latter always seem to be on special offer in B&Q.

I was thinking something near to 120 bar but I don't want to blast holes in the patio.

19 REPLIES
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Pressure Washer

My Mum & Dad bought a B&Q own brand one years ago but it was rubbish and so we took it back and paid a little extra for a Karcher. Of course being the son it's always me who has to do these kind of jobs anyway but I can't really fault it. Certainly we've never had any problems with it and I've pressure washed their enormous driveway pretty much every spring for the last 10 years with it.

I don't know if you've ever used one before but the biggest issue is all the trailing cables and pipes which can often get tangled around your feet. Our Karcher wasn't particularly well designed in that respect but things have certainly improved in newer models.

If you are buying a pressure washer for driveways or patios I would definitely recommend the special head attachement designed for that purpose, it gets the job done in half the time. (see picture below)

Two words of caution mind, if you ever use the pressure washer on the car be careful around stone chips especially on plastic spoilers, it stripped the paint off of mine in several places!

Secondly don't ever be tempted to put your fingers in the jet of water to rinse dirt off them. the high pressure jet feels like a African Bee sting!!

Patio/Driveway attachment (come in various designs and shapes)

maxresdefault.jpg

FRV30.jpg

The image above demonstrates quite well what I meant by all the cables and pipes, this is typical with all pressure washers that are fed from a mains water supply although I notice this particular one has an extra thick black hose attached to the head, presumably that's a suction which they don't normally have on domestic pressure washers. The trick with washing large areas is to position yourself accordingly and plan which direction you're going to walk before hand. 

BTW, in case you're wondering, pressure washers use only a small amount of water, it's not like just using a regular hosepipe.

Fixes: 47

At a company where I worked industrial pressure washers were used.

One guy using such a device decided it would be funny to fill a colleague's work boot with the soapy water from the pressure washer.

The guy ended up with a large painful swelling on his lower leg as water was injected.

He had to be taken to hospital to have the soapy water removed.

It never happened again.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

I can well believe that.., high pressure can easily force something through the skin. I know when I stupidly tried rinsing my fingers in the jet it hurt like hell for days after. Great for washing your wellies though.

I think some injections are done with high pressure instead of a needle unless i'm thinking of something I once saw on Star Trek?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I have a Karcher, can't recall the model as it's in the garage but I use it to cleaning everything. I have those attachments as shown in the image above but I've never used them. I prefer a lance with a water fan, it cleans everything you point it at and it made a great job of the drive mono bloc as well. When I was cleaning the flag stones on the path I got to a bit where the lawn had grown over the stones, so used the water jet as a cutter. OK I got splashed with a bit of unwanted soil but it created a perfect edge.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@chuffchuff

I just looked at the Karcher website on this page for washers rated between 110 -120 bar

These ones look pretty good though the addition of the patio head does increase cost quite considerably. We bought ours from the newspaper second hand for about £10 but it looked brand new.

Notice the one labelled 'Full Control' has wheels, they're a waste of time, it's easier to carry it. Ours has wheels but you can't pull it along when it's connected up anyway.

Screenshot (113).png

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@Mook

Give that patio head a try next time, you might be pleasantly surprised by how much quicker it does the job plus you have the added bonus of no splash back of dirt and water.

I used ours for about 4 years using the fan attachment, my mums drive spans the full width of her bungalow so well over 60 feet and being L-shaped it's even longer. It used to take me a good 7-8 hours easily with just the fan attachment, however using the patio head I can easily do it in around 2-3 hours max.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I bought a Bosch unit when the pressure switch on the Karcher failed so it ran continuously and it was definitely quieter

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Yes Bosch is a good brand, I have several other tools made by them but no experience of their pressure washers.

Funnily enough I don't find our Karcher noisy anyway but there's so many different models.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

A point to note - the Bosch patio cleaning head is rubbish so if you want that don't buy a Bosch

Community Veteran

MKSlinky wrote:

I think some injections are done with high pressure instead of a needle unless i'm thinking of something I once saw on Star Trek?

In both cases you're right, in reality there are injection devices that use high pressure to blast a spray of whatever it is they're using into the patient's tissue and can be used multiple times over several patients hygienically as there's little cross-contamination risk, just as they do in Star Trek with the Hypospray, the same effect can be had with diesel engine injectors, but you really don't want one of them injecting diesel into your body... Shocked

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@twocvbloke

Well they don't call me Smart Alec for nothing you know, accept my names isn't Alec!

Well I don't suppose an extra infusion of diesel will hurt, according to one of the beeb's health programmes peppers contain a natural form of diesel in their skin. Come to think of it they do have a similar taste, not that I've ever physically tasted diesel mind. I'm thinking more along the lines of what a person suffering from synesthesia might experience.

Community Veteran

Well, there's a lot of there stuff in diesel fuel than just the diesel fuel itself, and it's the other stuff that is somewhat toxic to humans if it is injected into your body, as for eating (well, drinking it), it'd probably just aid the lubrication of the resultant expulsion from the body, whichever end that may be........... Shocked

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Yeah I suppose you'd have to be pretty careful around the barbecue, you wouldn't want this to happen...

hqdefault.jpg

Keeps taking me back to that other topic about the 'fast ring' although perhaps in this case it would be a 'hot ring'!

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

When I used to Pressure wash the Patio and flags around the property, and the natural dry stone walls, I wore head to toe clothes that could go straight into the washing machine, or a waterproof overall.

Also a face mask, protective goggles, and wellies.

Pressure washing kicks up a lot of spray, including the manky bug ridden detritus removed from the flags etc.

We have a individual brick paving driveway, close to the property, with fine dry sand in between the bricks, that tends to get washed away by a Pressure Washer.

New sand brushed in afterwards. It's a large area, so takes ages....... cue Gardener !