cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Presidential Impeachment Inquiry

Community Veteran

Presidential Impeachment Inquiry

The big story in the US at the moment is the Impeachment Inquiry being conducted by the House of Representatives into whether President Trump should be impeached.

No president has ever been impeached whilst in office.

The inquiry centers on Trump's attempts to use his office to get the President of Ukraine to investigate business dealings of the son of one of Trump's opponents in the 2020 election. It is stated Trump threatened to withhold military support if Ukraine didn't 'dish the dirt'.

It's going to be an interesting week ahead.

43 REPLIES 43
john10001
Grafter

Re: Presidential Impeachment Inquiry

I am pretty sure Bill Clinton and Richard Nixon were both impeached while in office?

The Democrats wont bring it for a vote in the House for obvious reason. Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty springs to mind. It just smacks of desperation to me. I think they must realise that they are going to lose in 2020. At least that is the way I read it.

Trump is doing his best though to cause headaches for his campaign for reelection with the ridiculous tariffs and leaving the Kurds to be slaughtered by Turkey in Syria. Even with the big mistakes he is making the Democrats are just a complete mess and have shifted so far left that they are unelectable. There was one person who might have stood a chance against Trump but they didn't want anything to do with them.

To impeach someone you need to have a valid reason other than simply disliking them and that is the big problem for Democrats and why they are not following the standard procedures because it is a red herring and they have no valid cause. They are desperately hoping some mud will stick.

My prediction is this will just be like Russia gate and all the others that have occurred before. After trying to Impeach they will move onto the next thing and will be out of office for another four years possibly eight or twelve.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Nixon resigned before he could be, the two that were whilst in office were Clinton of course and one I had to look up, which was an Andrew Johnson in 1868.

Isn't Wiki wonderful... assuming it's not been hacked by the Chinese. :rolleyes:

Community Veteran

Yes, correction, Johnson was impeached but Clinton was tried by the Senate and acquitted by 55 votes to 45. He went on to complete his full term of office.

https://www.businessinsider.com/nixon-clinton-johnson-impeachment-timelines-history-2019-9#on-decemb...

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Not to labour the point because American politics does not interest me that much, but Clinton was impeached by the House of Representatives but was cleared by the Senate because they could not get that two thirds majority. 

Regardless of crooks, liars and tweets the top job is as safe as houses, well white ones anyway. :wink:

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

No US president has ever been forced out of office by being impeached. 

Given the mess the 'Democrats' are in they couldn't even impeach Trump for selling weapons to Russia.  They remind me of the Labour party and LibDums in UK, both in a huge mess and basically un - electable,  and the Lib Dems have shown themselves to be totally deficient in the 'democratic' department but very liberal with their fairy dust promises. 

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Only one way to get rid of Trump, take him on a guided tour of Dallas. 

Ouch, I know. :rolleyes:

adrianscotter
Pro
Fixes: 2

@Minivanman wrote:

Only one way to get rid of Trump, take him on a guided tour of Dallas. 

Ouch, I know. :rolleyes:

Surely not!  The Texans and the Floridian both love the guy because he supports the 2nd Amendment and has said he won't change it.  I pity the government that tries to remove their access to firearms as ours did.  Civil unrest wouldn't even begin to cover it.  I have friends in Florida and in Texas that have openly said this 'they will need to pry my firearms from my cold, dead hands before I give them up'.  Incidentally, one of those is an active female cop in Florida.

Live long and prosper!
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Strange part of the constituation that because from what I understand it was placed there in order to make it easy to raise a militia at short notice?

No big on American history (or much else :wink:) so stand to be corrected on that. 

adrianscotter
Pro

Not only that but a 'well regulated' militia.  Hah!, Most of the people I know couldn't organise a boozy session at the local bar if you catch my drift Smiley

Live long and prosper!
Community Veteran

@adrianscotter wrote:

Surely not!  The Texans and the Floridian both love the guy because he supports the 2nd Amendment and has said he won't change it.  I pity the government that tries to remove their access to firearms as ours did.  Civil unrest wouldn't even begin to cover it.  I have friends in Florida and in Texas that have openly said this 'they will need to pry my firearms from my cold, dead hands before I give them up'.  Incidentally, one of those is an active female cop in Florida.

I know what you mean. I play tennis with a surgeon from a large Florida Hospital. He carries a gun which he leaves in the locker room when he changes into his hospital scrubs.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

:rolleyes:

Community Veteran

The Democrats held another debate last night. Very lack lustre due to there being 12 candidates on stage and poor moderating. Many of the 12 would not be known in their own kitchens. Little came from the debate and this will be the case until the number of candidates is reduced to a more manageable number.

The front runners of the night were Elizabeth Warren, Jo Biden and Bernie Sanders.

adrianscotter
Pro

I have to wonder about the Democrat party in the US, I really don't know what they want to achieve, pretty much like our own labour party.  Neither of them are prepared to commit to anything until they know which way things are going, neither of them seem to believe in their own thing.  A sad, sad state of affairs for both countries.

Live long and prosper!
Community Veteran

Last night's debate exposed a number of serious differences in policy between the candidates. I think this will be better once some of the candidates are eliminated. The November debate could be interesting.

At the moment they are competing amongst themselves but they need to sort things out and start challenging Trump.