cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Presidential Gaff

Community Veteran

Presidential Gaff

When i arrived here the race to become the next President of the US looked as if it was going to be won by Mitt Romney.  Then earlier in the week he was secretly videoed at a private fund raiser in Boca Raton  in which he effectively insulted half the American people. 
Video
He has been back tracking for days with little success.  The tables have now turned and Obama is the current leader in the polls.  Romney has an uphill job if he is to regain the lost ground.
Don't know how this is playing in the UK but it's the number 1 news story here.
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Presidential Gaff

Not much interest here, not many people in UK would take MR seriously anyway.  Crazy
Top story is 2 policewomen murdered  with gun & grenade in Manchester. Don't suppose that gets much of an airing in the US either.  Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I like Obama. Since he came to power terrorism seems to be dropping off.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
Top story is 2 policewomen murdered  with gun & grenade in Manchester. Don't suppose that gets much of an airing in the US either.  Roll eyes

Yes it did get mentioned.  Picked up by AP and used on our local TV and newspapers.
LONDON --
(AP) — British authorities say a 29-year-old man has been charged with murdering two unarmed police officers in the Manchester region of northern England.
Fiona Bone, a 32-year-old who was planning her wedding, and 23-year-old Nicola Hughes died Tuesday shortly after the gunman opened fire and set off a grenade in Hattersley, a suburban area about 10 miles (16 kilometers) from central Manchester.
Dale Cregan, already the focus of an intense police manhunt as a suspect in two other killings, surrendered at a local police station shortly after the incident and was booked on suspicion of murder.
Prosecutor Nazir Afzal said Thursday that Cregan has been charged with murder in the deaths of Bone and Hughes, along with a father and son killed in separate incidents earlier this year.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Fiona Bone, a 32-year-old who was planning her wedding,

Civil partnership, but I guess they wouldn't understand what that was.  Shocked
Community Veteran

The AP report came from London and yes they would understand what a civil partnership is in a large part of the country.  Many States are debating the issue through their courts.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Sprite
I like Obama.

So do I, pity the start of his presidency was hyped up before he really began (Nobel prize).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Mitt Romney...?  Isn't he the guy leading the Obama presidential re-election campaign?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
David_W
Rising Star

I like Obama. Since he came to power terrorism seems to be dropping off.

It would have been really, really hard for it to increase over what happened when Bush was in power though.  Personally I was hoping for great things when he was elected but his governments anti-British views, especially over the Falklands does tend to put one off a person.
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
I like Obama.

So do I, pity the start of his presidency was hyped up before he really began (Nobel prize).

He inherited a large deficit from George W (a similar situation yo the Conservatives in the UK from Labour) and has been limited in what he could do. Also he doesn't have control of the House of Representatives which makes it difficult to get things done.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

FFS: Mitt Romney questions why the windows on aeroplanes cant be opened.
[quote=http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-romney-beverly-hills-fundraiser-20120922,0,2317962.story]Romney’s wife, Ann, was in attendance, and the candidate spoke of the concern he had for her when her plane had to make an emergency landing Friday en route to Santa Monica because of an electrical  malfunction.
“I appreciate the fact that she is on the ground, safe and sound. And I don’t think she knows just how worried some of us were,” Romney said. “When you have a fire in an aircraft, there’s no place to go, exactly, there’s no — and you can’t find any oxygen from outside the aircraft to get in the aircraft, because the windows don’t open. I don’t know why they don’t do that. It’s a real problem. So it’s very dangerous. And she was choking and rubbing her eyes. Fortunately, there was enough oxygen for the pilot and copilot to make a safe landing in Denver. But she’s safe and sound.”
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
itsme
Grafter

Remind me of a tweet from one of our Olympic gold medallist
Geraint Thomas ‏@GeraintThomas86
Why do they dim the cabin lights for take off and landing?! N.B I lost the race to Bristol...
Collapse
   Retweet
   Favorite
   4 Retweets
   3 Favorites
   Mark Rob Johnston Lynne Lyons Alan Taylor KarenWaring
12:50 PM - 16 Sep 12 · Details
16 Sep Woof Woof ‏@jameswoodroffe
@GeraintThomas86 so if the plane crashes your eyes adjust quicker for the evacuation...
Expand
   Retweet
   Favorite
16 Sep Alastair Jamieson Alastair Jamieson ‏@alastairjam
@GeraintThomas86 boring answer: to get your eyes adjusted to the dark in case you need to evacuate the aircraft on landing
from Tower Hamlets, London
   Retweet
   Favorite
16 Sep Dave Dave ‏@block6gooner
@GeraintThomas86 in case you have to get out in an evacuation and it's dark outside. Eyes won't have to adjust #boringaircrafttrivi

The answer given could be correct but I thought the cabin lights were dimmed for the same reason that in day light the widow shutters/blinds had to be open.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If you Google that question the best answer has to be "to enhance the appearance of the cabin crew"!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Quote from: jelv
FFS: Mitt Romney questions why the windows on aeroplanes cant be opened.

Yes, it's true. It's just one of many mistakes he's making.  Even his running mate Paul Ryan is distancing himself from Romney. Many republican candidates are doing likewise. Rat, sinking ship comes to mind...
Community Veteran

This from a United Airlines captain:
Why are cabin lights dimmed?
Captain Meryl Getline answers your questions about what it's like to fly the friendly skies. Is there something you want to know about air travel? Send her an e-mail, and she may publish it in an upcoming column.
Question: Why do you dim the cabin lights before takeoff and landing?
Answer: This is a safety consideration. In the event it becomes necessary to evacuate the airplane, your eyes are already adjusted. Otherwise, it takes at least several seconds to go from bright light to being able to see in the dark.