cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

President Obama

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Re: President Obama

Thanks for lowering the tone pierre.  We were having a serious conversation here Wink
Highlighted
Grafter

I have already apologised Smiley
Highlighted
Fixes: 1,071

Serious conversation? I thought it was just a large amount of back slapping  Wink Grin
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: adiewoo
I just can't get away from the feeling it's 1997 all over again..

Exactly my point about Phoney Blair and why a lot of people will ever trust a UK PM again.
Provided that speech was mostly his own words and not completely the product of a team of speech writers as was no doubt the case with Dubya and indeed Phoney, then he seems to be intelligent and so there's reason to be hopeful, if not and he is just simply a good orator then the next 4 years could be very bumpy indeed for the whole world on a range of fronts, the economy, Iraq and Afghanistan and the brewing situations in North Korea and Iran
Highlighted
Grafter

'Exactly my point about Phoney Blair and why a lot of people will ever trust a UK PM again. Provided that speech was mostly his own words and not completely the product of a team of speech writers as was no doubt the case with Dubya and indeed Phoney'

Hmm......If only eh!..But there's no doubt he is many steps up from Dubya
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/20/barack-obama-inauguration-us-speech
Highlighted
Community Veteran

According to LBC radio this morning he wrote most of the speech himself and had someone work a bit on the delivery.  
Did you notice the Kinnocks (reach for the sickbag)  were both invited guests. They were guests of Joe Biden the VP.  When he was campaigning for president Biden plagiarized a Kinnock speech and had to drop out of the race.  The 2 men then became firm friends as a result of this, hence the invitation.
Highlighted
Grafter

In that case, artmo, there is reason to be hopeful.
Don't know much about Biden but they were saying on BBC News they thought he'd picked him so he wouldn't be upstaged and on the basis of him needing to use a Kinnock speech then that was probably a wise decision as the guy is probably not that bright.
If he'd won, he would have probably started the speech off by yelling "we're alright!"
Highlighted
Grafter

The US political system has its flaws like any other, but what has struck me is the good grace with which the results were accepted and the apparent friendliness and smoothness of the changeover. I can think of a number of leaders of other countries that ought to be feeling embarrassed by that (cough, Zimbabwe, cough).
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Techguy. to be fair to Biden he is a very intelligent man.  I heard some of his speeches and he is a good orator and has a good grasp of international affairs which we know Obama hasn't.  There's a bit about him here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Biden
He was born in Scanton, Pa and has never forgotten his roots.  In 1972 his wife and child were both killed in a car accident and you have to admire the way he dealt with this blow.
If anything were to happen to Obama i have no doubt Biden would make an excellent President.
Highlighted
Grafter

As I said I have little knowledge of the man and will certainly do some reading.
He must have some real guts to recover from something as terrible as that.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

I have just listened to his speech prior to signing a number of Executive Orders relating to openness and responsibility in government.
Now why can't our lot and the Civil Service have the same approach - that is a rhetorical question  Sad
Highlighted
Community Veteran

"Well done is better than well said" - Benjamin Franklin
Highlighted
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Good Luck to President Obama, and Good Riddance To President George W. Bush.
Highlighted
Grafter

Some very interesting comments there Gary.
I suppose its not a good start when you are awarded the Presidency by Court Order but why did they return this buffoon to power in 2004?
Highlighted
Community Veteran

I don't think the American public had seen through Bush totally in 2004 and he stood against Kerry who didn't run a good campaign.