cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

President Obama

Community Veteran

President Obama

Just watched the swearing in of Barack Obama.  He's certainly hit the ground running.  Great speech in which he laid out some of his plans including a  promise of an organised withdrawal from Afghanistan and Iraq. 
He has a lot to deliver and time will tell if he can do so. Good Luck to him.
39 REPLIES
techguy
Grafter

Re: President Obama

I wouldn't like to be him tomorrow morning when the party is over and he has to get down to business.
Good luck to him of course but I sure hope our media don't replay the footage for the next 7 days and engage in endless debates about what 'it' means, all it means is thank goodness they've elected an intelligent person who doesn't live in a dream world and acknowledges the world outside the US borders does matter and that the environment is important.
So yes indeed, a historic occasion.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yes good luck to him. He's a very good and persuasive speaker, there's a very old saying part of which is "talk is cheap" but undoubtedly the "plan" is a good one, he'll need a lot of support though, and need to be pretty quick too, or his popularity may dwindle somewhat, not all Americans are that enamored with Obama.
Didn't some of what he said put you in mind of the presidents speech (Harrison Ford) at the opening of "Air Force One"  ?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

techguy, yes, he's going to have a pretty full in-tray on his desk tomorrow morning.
Petlow, you're so right.  Many Americans have no time for him and are waiting for him to fail.  One shrewd move was the appointment of Hillary.  Apart from her experience she will help him win over the White voters.  He's also made a few other good appointments and has a very experienced and likable VP.
jmd
Grafter

I thought it was amazing that so many folks went to Washington to stand in that freezing weather to wait and then to hear him speak........................ would any of our "Leaders" get such a turnout?
I thought his speech was very good.
techguy
Grafter

Like I say, glad to see they have elected someone who appears to be intelligent for a change and when you control a country as large as that, that should be what counts IMO.
I doubt any leader would now after Phoney Blair.
Community Veteran

yes, 4m+ people there.  A security nightmare.
techguy
Grafter

I bet working in the Secret Service is hard enough but 10 times worse on occasions like this.
Fixes: 47

Certainly a very historic day but not exactly the most ideal point in human history to take the top job. I wish him the best of luck.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I'm sure he has the capacity to make the world a better place, and I hope he gets the support and the luck he deserves. One thing's for sure - he can't do more damage to it than his predecessor.
Not young enough to know everything
Fixes: 104

I just can't get away from the feeling it's 1997 all over again..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: adiewoo
I just can't get away from the feeling it's 1997 all over again..

At least Obama didn't claim things can only get better.
Poor old Bush & Dick. They must have been feeling to cold winds of change.
Anyway, Obama did say, "it is time to restore science to it's rightfull place." Which is cool by me.

Cool  Why ain't there no black smileys?
Community Veteran

He's already called a halt to the trials in Guantanamo Bay to give himself time to review the situation. Later today he is also meeting his advisers to discuss Afghanistan and Iraq. Looks like he means business.
StickyMick
Grafter

*Remembers it feeling like the first day of spring when Mr Blair came to office* Do they come with a 12 month warranty yet?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Please Excuse Me
Barack Obama was seated next to a little girl on an airplane trip back to Washington. He turned to her and said, “Let’s talk. I’ve heard that flights go quicker if you strike up a conversation with your fellow passenger.”
The little girl, who had just opened her book, closed it slowly and said to The Obama, “What would you like to talk about?”
“Oh, I don’t know,” said the Obama. “How about What Changes I Should Make To America?” and he smiles.
“OK,” she says. “That could be an interesting topic. But let me ask you a question first. A horse, a cow, and a deer all eat the same stuff - grass. Yet a deer excretes little pellets, while a cow turns out a flat patty, and a horse produces clumps of dried grass. Why do you suppose that is?”
Obama, visibly surprised by the little girl’s intelligence, thinks about it for a second and finally says, “Hmmm, I have no idea.”
To which the little girl replies, “Do you really feel qualified to change America when you don’t know Excreter?”