cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prescription delivery apps

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Prescription delivery apps

I was quite taken with the idea of using a home delivery prescription app.

But however, I took the trouble to check it out with my surgery first. They have a number of patients who already use such an app, a large percentage have problems with it, some others have no trouble at all.

One of the issues is if something does go wrong, the customer services contact can be enormously difficult to speak to (where have I heard that before?). Another is if the patient does have problems it can be quite difficult to get them back into the surgery system again (if you choose to sign up with one of these, you are removed from the surgery ordering system, I wonder how well that is known about)

Whilst the surgery is not really supposed to have an opinion or offer advice on this, the person I spoke to did everything short of telling me not to bother.

So I have deleted the app I added to my iPhone, before registering.

Any other members used one of these systems, how did you fair?

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
9 REPLIES
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Prescription delivery apps

I haven't got an app as such, but I did sign up for electronic prescription ordering with my surgery last year. The system they use (I think there is more than one), allows me to order meds, check my medical records, make appointments &c.

The best idea, IMO, is to see if your surgery has such a system (most do) and use that. I can still personally go and get a prescription, so I am clearly not removed from the surgery ordering system.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Like @jab1 My wife and I have been enrolled on the surgery Electronic Prescription re-ordering service... been on there for about 6 or 7 years now... it enables me to keep and control meds for my wife, and have no problems with it...  I usually check her present levels, and order on a Friday night... and call into the pharmacy on the way to or from the supermarket.... it`s really handy, cos it is situated between the Doctors surgery, and the local "tesco local"... so if anything is forgotten  from Morrisons, Tesco on the way home... if anything wrong with the prescription order.. Doc Surgery next door..

I think the "prescription delivery services" are operated by the pharmacy companies. keeping the business with them, rather than being taken to other suppliers... it is especially attractive to the elderly / infirm, who have not got good access to transport to get to the doc`s for repeats or  to collect when ordered.

Pesonally, I would leave them alone, unless you really have no-one you can depend on, to collect your prescriptions for you.. ( friend/neighbour/family )....

Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I enrolled my mum for the Lincolnshire Co-op prescription delivery through the chemist. Meds were ordered as usual through the Drs collected by the Co-op, then delivered to her door. I'm not sure if other Co-ops do the same. She was 91 and lived alone 20 miles form me so it was a brilliant service.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@shutter

Bit like where I live. I have to get prescription medicines for myself and my mum. The pharmacy is right opposite the doctors and I swear it is where most of their business comes from. In fact, they've recently refurbed and expanded, so it shows you a business is doing well if they do that. Smiley

They must have a close working relationship with the surgery.

I just drop the prescriptions off, pick mine up 2 days later, and they deliver my mums.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Our medical centre encourages  patients to go online and register which then gives you direct access to repeat ordering of prescriptions, making an appointment to see the Doctor, with times of appointments available and which Doctors you can see,

oddly enough no facility exists to book an appointment to see the clinic nurse or any other member of the team.

So having requested a repeat prescription this is sent direct to the local chemist who runs a free scheme where you can have the medication delivered to your home which has proved handy a few times, however someone must be in to sign for it so it could come at any time of the day, however if you are fit enough to be up and about with the chemist nearby then it would be more convenient to go and pick it up.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yep, but my mum has (medical) milkshakes for nutrition. I tried one once and they are not very nice - I prefer a Nesquik Smiley

Deceiving though - they're in small bottles and to try and carry one you won't notice, to try 10-20 like I had to do once (can't remember why now) they are heavy. So for a box of them you need a vehicle, or try it yourself.

At least you wouldn't need to go to the gym afterwards. Cheesy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I (along with SHMBO) use the Patient Access system, you can do repeat prescriptions & doc appointments. Was told you can't do nurse appointments since they are not a standard time (10min like doc's).
This is then collected by the local pharma. And I collect usually the next day, I could get it delivered for free but can just walk the dog past there if I am collecting.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Perhaps I gave the wrong impression; we have been using our surgeries online ordering system (and GP appointment booking) for several years, really without too much problem. However though the local authority moved the goal posts a while back, insisting that only medication prescriptions are processed by the pharmacy (a branch of Boots) other items generally called appliances and sundries are processed and delivered by a Liverpool based private company.

Unfortunately, the splitting the items has been a war of nerves with the private company never seeming to get it right, on time or adding free items (off-prescription) that I have begged and pleaded not to send any more as I have more in stock than they have, but it makes no difference. They are also inclined to change the product manufacturer without advising the surgery first, which results in the surgery refusing to accept the change. The private company sends the wrong one anyway, and then pleads for me to send them back. It is just as well that the required items are not needed urgently as a rule.

It did cross my mind that using one of the prescription delivery apps might overcome this mish-mash of left and right hands not talking to one another. Apart from any other objections that the surgery has with using one of these apps, it would not help with this private company issue.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 125

My GP surgery also utilises an on-line booking and re-ordering system (Patient Access). I collected a prescription this afternoon that I ordered last week. I did want to ask a question regarding mixing my painkillers will something else and was surprised to be informed that they only have dispensers and technicians with no pharmacist on site and suggested I make an appointment to see a GP or talk to the pharmacist over the road.

My previous GP did have a pharmacist in the chemist attached to the surgery.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still