cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prescription charges

Community Veteran

Prescription charges

How ironic that in the same week as Scotland has announced that they will be joining wales and N. Ireland in abandoning prescription charges, it's been announced that in England the price of prescriptions is to rise to £7.40  Angry
John
59 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Prescription charges

Yes you could almost think perhaps that we'll be paying for those freebies up north.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Can anyone tell me what the Scots and Welsh pay for that those in England don't (apart from an extra layer of government)?
John
nadger
Rising Star

I was horrified to see what prescriptions currently cost - one lose touch with these things.
Now that most pills are only 28 days supply a couple of items could be costing someone £15 per month.
I realise that a high percentage of prescriptions will be free but it does seem very unfair that one will soon only be charged in England.
Community Veteran

Yes Nadger, I think I must be one of the few. No-one has yet come up with anything that redresses the balance, but it's early days. Remember, the Scots don't pay for prescriptions, tuition fees or hospital parking (to name but three) (oh - or eye tests (any more?))
John
Fixes: 47

One of the reasons why I avoid going to the doctor's at all.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Not a good excuse since us oldies (over 60) get it free
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Bet it will not be long before the 60 goes up to 65 and continues to increase in line with the age you can claim the state pension !
tinto
Grafter

For Ok's information
1) the Scottish parliament isn't controlled by a Con/Dem coalition Smiley
2) you are not subsidising freebies for Scotland.  Health is a devolved matter and it's up to the Scottish government how it spends its NHS budget
3) When the matter was voted on in the Scottish Parliament only the Tories and LibDems voted against it. Wonder why? see 1) above Embarrassed
4) If I was a fan of the SNP I'd be giving you a lecture/diatribe on how the revenue from the gas and oil revenue from Scotland's territorial waters had been susidising the English taxpayer for almost 50 years now Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

And who bailed out the Scottish Banks when they went bust ?
Either we have a UK or we do not, personally I am not bothered either way but this half and half thing is just winding people up on both sides of the border.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: Strat
One of the reasons why I avoid going to the doctor's at all.

Quote from: Oldjim
Not a good excuse since us oldies (over 60) get it free

Probably just force of habit now after so many years Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: tinto
For Ok's information
2) you are not subsidising freebies for Scotland.  Health is a devolved matter and it's up to the Scottish government how it spends its NHS budget

Fair point - the budget is devolved, but the money comes from somewhere - clearly the NHS budget for Scotland is too high, since they can afford these sorts of publicity stunts - unless you're telling me that they are saving it from elsewhere - say on the cost of drugs.  I'd be interested to see the value per capita of the budget for England as compared with Scotland.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Well if you are poor enough (like me  Embarrassed Lips are sealed) then prescription & dental charges are free as well (just as well as since Dec I have had a root treatment and am getting a cap fitted to a split tooth).
But as a diabetic I get free prescriptions anyway  Wink Just as well as I get 5-9 (depends on usage of some drugs)  different prescriptions each month  Shocked
nadger
Rising Star

A neighbour who  was under 60 told me that he got free prescriptions when diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Since diabetes (both type 1 & 2) are classed as Chronic diseases so you get free prescriptions for them, I was diagnosed 6 years ago and have been on tablets since day one (type 2) (Don't get me started on the NUMBER of tablets, its now 8 in the morning, 8 at dinner (ok 4 of them are food supplements) and 3 at night)