cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prepayment meters

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Prepayment meters

I was not aware that if you got into debt for whatever reason the energy companies could force you to have a prepayment meter, even in private property they can get a court order and the Police can force their way into the property for a meter to be fitted.
4 REPLIES
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Prepayment meters

and the meters won't necessarily get the delinquent out of debt, unless they are timely adjusted to current tarries, and readings are timely.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Fixes: 47

It took a relative of mine 3 years to get rid of prepayment meters from her council flat.
The previous tenants fell into serious arrears with the quarterly billing so when they disappeared without trace the council arranged for prepayment meters to be fitted.
Because of the previous history of the property energy suppliers refused to change the meters.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: gleneagles
I was not aware that if you got into debt for whatever reason the energy companies could force you to have a prepayment meter, even in private property they can get a court order and the Police can force their way into the property for a meter to be fitted.

It's been that way for over 25 years. I should know, my parent had one done when i was a kid. Not a nice experience living with one of those ****ing things. They also go wrong too. I had one moons ago at a place i moved into and it kept cutting off my supply prematurely. The leccy board eventually agreed under duress to replace it with a normal one and investigate the PP meter for faults. They eventually admitted that they had found it to be faulty and credited me £50 for the hassle.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

They are evil things.
We had a prepayment gas meter for many years, until the council installed gas central heating.
Had to keep it well fed with half-crowns. (That's 12.5p pieces to you youngsters).
Then we had a proper meter fitted in the redundant coalhouse.