Community Veteran

Prepare to be Impressed

Amazing Machines Smiley Smiley
Amazing Machines
Makes life easier, doesn't it Undecided
37 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Prepare to be Impressed

Awesome, indeed. I've seen the grass cutters in action before.
I think my favourite from that clip was number 24 Smiley All are fantastic feats of engineering.
Now when are we going to see one of these (makes it's appearance around 0:56).

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Some amazing machines though I have to say the chicken gathering one made me feel a bit uncomfortable.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@billnoben +1 on the chickens and I wasn't too happy with the machines clearing trees and shrubs either
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

We stopped a Ramble for 10 minutes just to watch the first tree sawing and branch stripping machine - it was really impressive
Fixes: 47

One more for the chickens Huh
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

And another for the chickens.
Industrialisation and mechanisation are all very well, but scooping up young chicks - a step too far surely...  Sad
Not young enough to know everything
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

all this mechanisation is getting rid of thousands of jobs, at a time when populations are growing we should be looking to employ less machines and more people in those labour intensive manual jobs, only if there was a shortage of labour should mechanisation be used, its just like automated checkouts in shops (horrible things) there is no need for it and its just doing away with jobs for the sake of profits and putting more people out of work !
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
PowerLee
Rising Star

Who is going to pay the cost for all these new labour intensive jobs then?
Government's around the world should do something to stop the population from growing, there isn't a never ending supply of resources on this planet.
I actually like the automated checkouts in shops as it means I don't have to talk to a shop assistant as I just want to pay for my stuff & get out of there, plus I can get rid of all the 1p & 2p coins I seem to collect.
A lot of companies want more automation, saves them on labour cost's, there's less risk someone is going to get injured or killed doing the task if it involves manual labour, machines don't need tea / lunch breaks or go on strike, tasks done by machine are more repeatable, less product damage when the human isn't involved.
dick:quote

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: PowerLee
plus I can get rid of all the 1p & 2p coins I seem to collect.

So you're the reason the self-service tills I use spit out coppers all the blummin' time!!! Grin
Community Veteran

I don't have to talk to a shop assistant

That's the best bit of shopping. Chatting to the cashiers.
nanotm
Pro

Who is going to pay the cost for all these new labour intensive jobs then?
Government's around the world should do something to stop the population from growing, there isn't a never ending supply of resources on this planet.
I actually like the automated checkouts in shops as it means I don't have to talk to a shop assistant as I just want to pay for my stuff & get out of there, plus I can get rid of all the 1p & 2p coins I seem to collect.
A lot of companies want more automation, saves them on labour cost's, there's less risk someone is going to get injured or killed doing the task if it involves manual labour, machines don't need tea / lunch breaks or go on strike, tasks done by machine are more repeatable, less product damage when the human isn't involved.

and for manufacturing that makes sense, it doesn't make sense for logistics /warehouse operations, farming or indeed shop operations.
you can ditch your coppers in the counting machine near the tills for a store voucher if your bothered about it (well you can in most of the supermarkets I've been in recently)
people are actually cheaper to employ than machines are in a 25 year period (based on purchase +running costs + maint costs of the machines) and of course there's the fact that most of the up and coming automation positions are actually getting rid of jobs people are currently doing...
I agree machines can be more reliable and cause less safety concerns but at the same time they are also more of a problem than people when they go wrong as you often have ot cease operations in an entire section to performa maintence tasks instead of at worst rope off a small area and keep going around it ...
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Most impressive I've worked with was the Jonglei Canal cutter.
"There is a mechanic standing behind the rotating wheel."
The kidnapping and being held hostage of the crew bought an end to the project.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Force
And another for the chickens.
Industrialisation and mechanisation are all very well, but scooping up young chicks - a step too far surely...   Sad

+1
I saw that and felt really sad that someone could come up with a machine like that. Its sickening.
The others looked impressive but anything that harms animals is not good.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

This is Temple Grandin she's autistic but an absolute genius at designing machines for killing animals  Sad
https://youtu.be/mCYs1CSsbqs
they reckon it's because she can think like a cow but has no compassion
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra