cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pregnant women smoking outsode maternity unit

Community Veteran

Pregnant women smoking outsode maternity unit

Something I noticed at the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast while working there.
If that is the mother's view, what chance does the child have?!
In this day and age, surely these women can be arrested for child abuse?!
10 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Pregnant women smoking outsode maternity unit

I think you'd probably need a fag after giving birth! Grin

pierre_pierre
Grafter

in the Hospitals I have visited in Essex and Suffolk Smoking is banned in the Total Hospital, Grounds and all.
At Basildon Hospital, the staff used to go a short distance to an exit and sit on the wall to have a drag,  Now a fence has been put on the wall to stop them sitting there.
itsme
Grafter

So no chance of the last cigarette before you die like they do in the Westerns  Grin Surely this must be against your human rights.
nadger
Rising Star

It's even more frightening when one sees the piles of dog ends outside the door of a cancer ward.
Last Feb I thought I'd get some fresh air so went through double doors, into garden, and was horrified by what I saw.
johpal
Grafter

I work in a children's hospital. The number of fag ends by the road is frightening. You can extrapolate the idea to alchoholics having liver transplants, diabetic patients eating chocolate, etc. Forbidden fruit; its in our genes!  Crazy
Community Veteran

There is a looping recording that plays "Please note, this is not a smoking area, smoking is not permitted." There is also a large no smoking sign, right under that there are thousands of butts. If there is a slight breeze the smell of the smoke is carried right in through the main reception.
Community Veteran

looped recordings are so romania.  a friend said she'd enjoyed the country, the people, the grub, but couldn't abide all the public speakers churning out propoganda all day long.  counter-productive is what it is and the recording you speak of, sean, would induce me to light up and blow smoke in its face.
DAST
Dabbler

On a related theme I recently saw, in our high street, a collector for the Marie Curie Cancer Care charity - smoking. Unbelievable!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Perhaps they were collecting for themselves?

scootie
Grafter

can we calculate how much are tax bills would be if the goverment wasnt collecting all the tax on cigs, am happy to pay the tax on my cigs because am sure if i need to be in hosi due to my habbit then am pretty sure i would of payed for the service plus some one else's broken leg ect by the time my habbit catchs up with me.