Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Precipitation.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Precipitation.

Anyone else noticed androids built in weather forcasting system using this annoying word instead of rain?

Am i over reacting getting miffed by it or does anyone else find it completely pointless that they use a word many have never even heard of?

And on that note, what is it with people wanting to use words others have never heard of? - You always hear people saying clear communication is key and then you get these numbskulls who deliberately want to use rare words and still be understood? - utterly nuts.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
30 REPLIES 30
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Re: Precipitation.

It’s a bit like the word, ‘Civils’ and ‘Logistics’ that you see on a lot of vans and lorries these days instead of a common word that describes what they actually do.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

Yeah ... it`s cool though,.... if not wicked... to speak in words that others don`t "get"... ( although those I have just used, are probably very dated by now ! ) ..

The BBC Shipping Forecast, used to ( probably still does, if they are still broadcasting it) .. use the "precipitation" word... and I "kinda" latched on to it... and used it whenever we were out in Wales, and looking across country.. you could see the rain area quite clearly as a dark grey mass with distinct edges... I would say to the missus.... " Precipitation within sight" ... and be quite smug about it  ! ! !..Cheesy

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

I think the word to might be looking for @7up  is 'verbose'.... and guilty as charged.  😆

As you say @shutter precipitation was used quite often by the BBC and it's certainly the one I remember from the early days of black and white television weather forecasting 'pre-stick on magnets' and the like, and lots of those wavy lines.

Still, who cares when we have the likes of Carol Kirkwood presenting the week ahead!

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 80

@gleneagles wrote:

It’s a bit like the word, ‘Civils’ and ‘Logistics’ that you see on a lot of vans and lorries these days instead of a common word that describes what they actually do.

Civils - Civil engineering, or digging holes and filling them up again, usually repairing roads or  pipes, cables &c.

Logistics - Moving stuff from point 'A' to point 'B'.

HTH, @gleneagles 😉

John
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 7

Lots of holes seem to be moving into roads around here.  Cheesy

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 202

Precipitation does indeed mean rain OR hail, sleet, snow mist etc.

Does ir irritate me? No. If I come across a new word I look it up and try to improve my vocabulary by remembering it.

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 80

@RobPN wrote:

Lots of holes seem to be moving into roads around here.  Cheesy

A joint venture between Murphys and DHL, @RobPN ?🤣

John
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 32

@Baldrick1 wrote:

Does ir irritate me? No. If I come across a new word I look it up and try to improve my vocabulary by remembering it.

Thereby enhancing one's incipient eloquence and erudition - nowt wrong with that.  🙂

The Internet gave us access to everything; but it also gave everything access to us.
James Veitch

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
dvorak
Fixes: 1,236

it's a learning opportunity https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/met-office-for-schools/other-content/other-resource...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mayfly
Seasoned Pro

@Minivanman wrote:

Still, who cares when we have the likes of Carol Kirkwood presenting the week ahead!

I get irritated by Carol trying to educate us, I just want to hear the weather.

If I wanted to know about the Ravens in the Tower of London I would look it up.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Fair enough @Mayfly but I can't say I'm always concentrating on what she is saying. 😎

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'll stick to my old ancient phone which always does a good job of telling the weather.

I simply open a window and hold my phone out. When I bring it back in, if it's wet I know it's raining.

Could be precipitation as well or maybe tsunami, another daft meaningless word.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@billnotben wrote: or maybe tsunami, another daft meaningless word.

Daft meaningless? Depends where you live of course. We are fortunate in the UK, being very much less prone to having them. Go to Japan, Thailand and a fair number of other countries and you'll find the word tsunami is anything but meaningless. It can mean the difference between living or dying. Locals are well educated in what to do when near the sea i.e. earthquake or the sea magically vanishing, you head for the high ground - rapid.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

What I really meant it was meaningless in changing the perfectly acceptable "tidal wave" for a foreign "harbour wave" alternative.

tidal wave - tsunami

rain - precipitation

There's a pattern here. Why have something clear and simple when you can................