cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre printed Christmas Cards. Yes or no.

Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Pre printed Christmas Cards. Yes or no.

We (for 'we' read 'the Mrs') have always made ours - although last year I was given the job for some reason.

Maybe because it's so much easier to make your own these days and I could be trusted not to muck it up. They were a photo of our cottage taken after a light snow which I then ran through an image program that made them look a bit like a rough painting. Rather different different I thought and easy to then order a small batch of them.

Only problem was the "did you paint that, how clever?"

Err, no.

Never really liked those thin generic shop bought ones but it's the thought (or lack of it) that counts... as well as the cost of stamps although having said that, one we get each year from the same couple are always 'cheap and cheerful' and done through the office I guess as they always have a printed out label stuck on the front and wait for it - they have then been put through a franking machine!

I always shake my head, and the Mrs always says "It's the thought that counts".

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
26 REPLIES 26
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

Re: Pre printed Christmas Cards. Yes or no.

My wife sees to all the Christmas cards, if it was ever left to me it’s unlikely any would get sent.

My contribution is printing out the adhesive address labels that go on the envelopes, perhaps cards will be phased out in time and future cards will all be sent to friends and relatives phones or tablets, think of all the trees saved.

☃️

Hero
Fixes: 9

I seem to remember Outlook Express on W98 had Christmas stationery, I even used it once for one person to whom I'd forgotten to send a 'proper' card.

Seasoned Pro

I handmake all the cards we send, birthday, christmas  wedding etc. It's  my salvation, it keeps me sane. Mind you if you count the cost of all the products they cost a fortune, even without the postage.

I did buy a lable maker but really can't reconcile printed labels with hand made cards. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I buy my packs of cards from charity shops. Usually a few days after Christmas when they half the price.

As long as the card looks pretty what does it matter. For many of us sending a card is no more than the equivalent of letting friends and relatives know that you are still alive and kicking.

Aspiring Legend

So how many years do we let go by not having a card do we decide that 'Uncle Fred' must dead. 🙄

But yes you are right, as long as it looks nice and as said albeit reluctantly it's the thought that counts.

Oh, and we've had three so far with unfranked stamps on them so we soak them of and recycle 'em. The bad news is they might not get the card until well into the new year... but it's the thought that counts.  

Hero
Fixes: 30

@Minivanman wrote:

but it's the thought that counts.  

I've often thought about sending cards...

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 8800NL
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

@Mayfly wrote:

I handmake all the cards we send, birthday, christmas  wedding etc. It's  my salvation, it keeps me sane. Mind you if you count the cost of all the products they cost a fortune, even without the postage.

I did buy a lable maker but really can't reconcile printed labels with hand made cards. 

Several of my wife’s friends sent cards which they have made, very impressive, amazing the things that are available to make cards with.

As you say likely to be more expensive than the average Christmas cards you can buy, but making cards makes you think about the person you are sending the card to rather than purchased cards which take less than a minute to make out.

Aspiring Legend

Well nothing says Christmas in Wales more than having a skeletal horse singing carols outside your door!

marilwyd07-720x991.jpg

The 'Mari Lwyd' midwinter tradition.

Fixes: 423

These days, with most things being instant through the inter-web thingy, kids don't seem the have the same sense excitement at receiving a card or letter through the post. In fact, they probably are happier at getting something via TwitFace that they can share with all their 'Friends'.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Hero
Fixes: 9

Heard just now on Martin Lewis (ITV) that postage rates are going up again on 1st January; first class by as much as 12% (most recent CPI figure was 0.7%).  Worth getting a few stamps before then if you use first class, otherwise just use 2nd class which is only going up by a penny (still 2% though).  Last time I remember two postage increases in the same year was in the mid-70s when we had much higher inflation.

Community Veteran

With all the extra business that RM and various couriers are getting you would think they are making so much more money they wouldn't need to raise prices.

I can't see how any of them can justify price rises at the moment as they must be among the few businesses having a boom time.

Aspiring Legend

They seem to raise prices to the level that the market will stand.

Few services and items it seems to me reflect the true cost of what is being provided - it all seems so random at times.

As for first class stamps, I've tended to avoid the latter ever since they were first introduced over fifty years ago when again as it seemed to me that one never got there quicker than the other. 

The Mrs tells me that as a kid her family never bought stamps ever, as a friend of theirs who worked at the DVLA in Swansea would bring home armfuls of 'em... but don't tell anybody. 😎

Community Veteran

Like in the States where the main carrier raised it's prices, supposedly temporarily over Christmas, because they had too much post.

I expect a lot of this relates to the extremely low prices the likes of the big boys, Amazon, eBay, etc, are paying there and probably here. A lot of extra post but of the wrong sort.

Seasoned Pro

I confess to being tight. Ever since they stopped printing the price on stamps and replaced it with 1st or 2nd clas I've always bought a stock before they go up. Currently using some I found in the back of a drawer I must have bought 5yrs ago. There's something very satisfying about feeling you've got one over a large business, even if it's not strickly true. 😎