Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-paid funeral plans.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Pre-paid funeral plans.

Pre-paid funeral con more like, and I'd not touch one with a barge pole - and neither would Mrs Minivanan.  

We'd need to be paying out an arm and a leg each every month to get anywhere near having the entire cost of our funerals covered and anyways, it's a mugs game. When our day finally arrives it's straight down to the nearest Crematorium sans flowers a la David Bowie for us and no messing - and a grand each should just about cover it.

£4000 plus a possible extra £2000? I should cocoa. I'd rather leave it to a friggin cats home - and that's saying something.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40518578

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
45 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Pre-paid funeral plans.

Hire a JCB, dig a hole, drop 'em in, done... Crazy

Fixes: 125

Pre-paid funeral plans?

Over my dead body...!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

If you think you can get yourself disposed of for £1k do tell where...?

We spent a long time researching funerals a couple of years ago and found that for our choice of natural (woodland) burials was not less than £5000. Naturally degrading coffins (wicker) are £600 each. Our burial plots have been purchased in a place of our choice.

We had originally opted for cremation but almost simultaneously decided that we didn't want that. Nor though did we want to be extravagant. Also had no wish to pass on our cost of dying to our children.

The bulk of the cost is made up of funeral directors fees which break down into a surprisingly complex billing.

You can't incidentally have a "proper" coffin for woodland burials. In spite of appearances most modern coffins are MDF and don't degrade.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Minivanman
Hero

Easy peasy Petlew Smiley

Apart from burying your beloved in the back garden price zero if you dig the hole yourself, check out the cost of disposal at your nearest crematorium. 

Prices vary from region to region, but our nearest one charges £642 although having said that there are companies that will do a direct from hospital or home to the crematorium for even less. Just Cremations for example offer their services for £450 + disbursements. For instance if you want those ashes back as well as picking up and transporting the remains for cremation they will arrange for you to have them returned to you in an urn or whatever.

Worth remembering is it is not your responsibility to dispose of a dead body, it is your local councils - although they may chase any partner you have, make a claim on your estate or against your descendants for any costs incurred, but I'm betting they would find it much easier just to write that one off.    

As said, £4000 plus a possible extra £2000? I should cocoa.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
bjallenby
Aspiring Pro

I want a Sky burial or a Norse funeral.
Minivanman
Hero

I'd not pay Murdoch a brass farthing for a Sky burial, and Norse funerals are only for those with Yorkshire roots (that's me) and can also show some Viking DNA (that might be me) are eligible sorry. Wink

Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

£4000 plus a possible extra £2000? I should cocoa. I'd rather leave it to a friggin cats home - and that's saying something. 

That's about right for a burial (from my experience sadly).

I think we spent around £400 on flowers, but it depends on what you want.

Fixes: 125

I told my wife/daughter to bury me as cheap as can possibly be done with just a few flowers (certainly no more than about £40 quids worth).

Any money left over from insurance/funeral expenses savings to be used to have a bloody good knees-up and not to mourn my passing but to celebrate my time here.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Yes @Mav,

Probably a bit OOT with the flowers, main costs is the funeral and paying the council for the plot.

Where my parents live we're kind of near a border between two London boroughs. The graveyard was just outside the one we live in. So the costs would have been double as we're "not residents". Strange thing is we had documentation to prove they did live in the other borough once.

So we got it as residents rate - it might sound like I am gloating (I'm not) just didn't realise how complex it can be.

Minivanman
Hero

@Alex

Which brings us back to being able to cover those cost from any pre-paid funeral plan of course.

Having laid Dad to rest a couple of years back it did cost a fair bit but as he had a few grand put away it was straightforward enough and as you say, expensive.

Such is life and death eh?

Community Veteran

Last year for me.

Yes, if someone has money put aside then fine. Not everyone does, but if you do then is no reason for the plan. 

Fixes: 47

This topic prompted me to check on my reserved plot in our local cemetery.

I have 19 years left on it so I've put a note in my Outlook calendar to renew it....if I get that far.

Just checked on current renewal fees:

Grave renewal fees.JPG

Being a Yorkshireman I would naturally go for the cheaper option.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Minivanman
Hero

.....and how long before they dig you up and sell the plot to somebody else? Smiley

Dust to dust and ashes to ashes for me, and then tipped into the local river and washed down to the sea. 

Steve
Seasoned Pro

I blame the grim reaper myself, all bills should go directly to it. How much longer can the grim reaper get away with murder scot free?!!