cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-paid funeral plans.

Fixes: 306

Re: Pre-paid funeral plans.

Minivanman wrote:

.....and how long before they dig you up and sell the plot to somebody else? Smiley

I won't be overly concerned by that time.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 69.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Strat We have purchased plots that are valid for 80 years, since we didn't buy them until we were in our seventies probably renewal won't be an issue.

@Minivanman the whole point of woodland burials is that everything buried returns to the surrounding earth including all the natural materials: shrouding, coffin etc. and the body. So the dust to dust analogy is probably more appropriate here. We have selected our plots side by side under what are maturing oak saplings. Any markers must be wooden (oak is most popular). I'm not a raging green, but I do like the principle of woodland burial.

You (or perhaps others) may like the poem written by Pam Ayres:

Don’t lay me in some gloomy churchyard shaded by a wall
Where the dust of ancient bones has spread a dryness over all,
Lay me in some leafy loam where, sheltered from the cold
Little seeds investigate and tender leaves unfold.
There kindly and affectionately, plant a native tree
To grow resplendent before God and hold some part of me.
The roots will not disturb me as they wend their peaceful way
To build the fine and bountiful, from closure and decay.
To seek their small requirements so that when their work is done
I’ll be tall and standing strongly in the beauty of the sun.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Steve wrote:

I blame the grim reaper myself, all bills should go directly to it. How much longer can the grim reaper get away with murder scot free?!!

Just don't eat the salmon mousse and you'll be fine...

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

@petlew

Well many do like the idea of one of those woodland burials but both price and longing for any spiritual burial however nicely Pam Ayers puts it are beyond me I'm afraid. It had been something we looked at and we both rather fancied one of the wicker coffins adorned with flowers but there you go, needs must I guess and at around £300 a pop on top of all the other expenses, I don't think so Wink 

Community Veteran

Spiritual doesn't come into it. We are as near to atheist as you can get. The woodland we are going to (which is incidentally 50 miles from where we live in a beautiful part of the countryside) accepts all denominations without preference to creed, colour or religions views. I don't know what Ms Ayres religious views are but she was writing poetry, not making a religious statement. Some of her other verse would suggest that she is not particularly faithful.

I don't know how old you are Minivanman, but there comes a time in life when the realisation is that you are not immortal and that at some stage your remains will need to be dealt with. Some choose to ignore it and assume their family will have to deal with it and the expense. Others (such as us) prefer to deal with it while we can, no doubt both sides realise that at the time it won't bother us very much, but like to think we have reduced the burden from our family and made our wishes known and arranged, even if as in our case some of our family don't actually agree with us.

Those of a religious way of course believe that this is merely a transition to a better life. Others accept that it is absolutely final. We fall into the latter category.

We did use a funeral plan, now fully paid up. Copies of the certificates are distributed around our family and the funeral directors, who incidentally have the right to add price increase surcharges. There is nothing particularly cheap or maybe moral about dying.

Lastly, one aspect of woodland funerals that is not so obvious is that embalming is not allowed, the chemicals used would contaminate the burial site. We have to be kept on ice until the appropriate time.

I amused our directors with a last request (which they will arrange) that I want to be 10 minutes late, as the only time that I have knowingly been late for anything, other than beyond my control. To the distraction to my wife and family.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Well as a near enough atheist myself I wonder if we are getting spirituality confused with religion as for me they are entirely different. I wonder about the former but have little if any time for the latter. Do you not think that like various religions there are various takes on atheism and that whilst they may decline and often deride those multiples of organised religions, it does not always do the same for spirituality.

I'm convinced there is neither God or Allah in any heaven, but I find it difficult to reject completely that there might be more to our existence than being done and dusted after those 'three score years and ten' - which by the way, I have just passed. 

"Absolutely final" perhaps, but absorbed into cosmic dust at least most definitely....with fingers crossed for that multi-universe theory.

One thing I am certain of is that funerals are for the living not the dead and if others want to pay for it they can knock themselves out but it'll come out of their inheritance and not my pocket up front via some pre-paid funeral scam plan Thumbs Up

Highlighted
nadger
Rising Star

Wish I'd not read this thread one week after my 82nd Cry

Community Veteran

I was bought up in a deeply religious environment (C of E) through three church schools with services twice a week plus Sunday and Sunday school. At around 14 or 15 I simply rebelled against it. To my mothers eternal shame I was never "confirmed" Since then I have always had an interest in other peoples religious outlook of whatever belief, I just don't have one. I cannot cope with the pomp and grandeur of organised religion, and indeed the apparent wealth of "the" church against the often poverty of those they are meant to serve. If I was asked to favour one religion over another I would probably plump for Japanese Shinto.

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 8

I don't know much about Japanese Shintoism, but I used to have a lot of admiration for Japanese culture until I met a young Japanese man some years ago who was a disappointment to his family because he hadn't achieved what was expected of him.  He was 26 and was expected by that age to have got his Master's Degree, got married, and got a job-for-life with a large Japanese corporation.  His father's recommendation:  Commit suicide!

I don't know if they were Shintoists but chances are they were.

One problem I have with religion is that most of us don't choose one after careful study, we are simply indoctrinated at a young age.  But that's a whole other thread.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@petlew

Same here sort of.

Along with two brothers I spent most of my formative years in a 1950's Church of England children's home and I can clearly remember questioning it all at around the age of seven, which is pretty much the time when most children begin to reason and to figure things out for themselves and for me, none of it added up - especially not the beatings we would get for the slightest misdemeanour whilst being told God loves us!  Unfortunately the fear of rejection or retribution whilst being dependent obliges us to keep such thoughts to ourselves.

Philip Larkin might have hit it on the head with his 'This Be The Verse' but Church and Institutions are not far behind.  

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman wrote:
Unfortunately the fear a rejection or retribution whilst being dependent obliges us to keep such thoughts to ourselves.

Also known as oppression...

I'm more of an "I'll believe it when I see it" type, plus scientific reasoning makes far more sense than "It's god's will!"... Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Donate your body to medical science.

Not only will you be making a contribution to the training of medical staff there will be no funeral costs.

Wink

Fixes: 332

I, too, had religion thrown at me from a young age. My parents allowed me more or less to make my own call but school was another matter with brimstone and fire being the order of the day. Many religions seem to rule by fear and once ingrained can be very difficult to shake even when faced with reason. I remember being taught that even to contemplate a different believe was tantamount to sinning. How wrong for if there is a God surely it's the way we live our lives that is important rather than who we pray to?

As for faith; it was her faith that got my great aunt through the loss of her husband at a relatively young age. I can't say that faith has helped me over the loss of my son. Only time has helped heal the wound somewhat but it can suddenly break open for no apparent reason.

I try to keep an open mind regarding religion but I find the older I get the harder that is to do.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@gleneagles

"Donate your body to medical science"

The father of an old friend of mine did this, and she got his remains returned to her four years later in a small box.  

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 8

@Minivanman  Donation on a sale or return basis. Smiley

I was told by a medical student a few years ago that a lot of anatomy teaching is now done with CGI so there is less need for cadavers.  I'm sure I read somewhere that only intact bodies are used by medical schools, so if you've had your appendix removed, you'll be rejected.