Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powerline ethernet.

quelquod
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Powerline ethernet.

There's not much RF power transmitted by powerplugs though (3 or 4 orders less than the normal mains currents) and most of it gets to its destination. Almost all house power wiring is twin&earth which means it performs similarly to a balanced feeder which has minimal losses anyway (as the field from the current going up one core is almost exactly cancelled out by that from the other). So I'd not worry much about any RF from the powerplugs system even if you chance to spend your nights with your head against a cable.
There's a lot more RF emitted by a wireless router of course and I wouldn't want to spend much time with one strapped to my head. Further away it's a lot less of course but I'm not aware of any safety guidance as to how far away its best to be. At a guess I'd think that the RF from a mobile phone in your pocket would usually be greater than from your wifi.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Okay here's some thing more sensible:

• Switch off the powerline network when not in use

• Move younguns' cot away from mains power lines

• Consider foil backed board between the cot and the wall

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 38

Quote from: 7up
Come on guys, enough of taking the mick eh?
I have a 8 month old son to think of. I don't want him to have leukemia or something because of something I've done and could have prevented.

I appreciate your concerns but if it really is worrying you that much then you should in theory get rid of your mobile phone, WiFi, PC, Microwave, PowerLine adapters, TV, etc and keep well away from overhead cables, especially pylons. I guess we've all watched CRT TVs in our time, and these gave off X-Rays, and no one has come to harm over years of exposure that I know of. I don't think there is anything to worry about to be honest. But to put your mind at rest you should be searching for peer reviewed academic and research papers if a definitive answer or answers of course.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

As stated by Mook your best bet is to look at academic and current research papers but even then you may well come across information that varies or even contradicts what other papers say.
We all want to do the best for our children and can only do so based on the information available to us, perhaps a greater danger to young children is the hidden rubbish added to food.
It is possible that various electrical items are causing us harm but we are surrounded by a variety of such things which includes the wiring in your house, from a logical point of view there is little you can do about it over and above what others have suggested apart from lining the walls, ceiling and floor in one room with Lead thus giving you a safe area but cost alone would rule that out for most people.
Children are also sensitive to how adults react to things so whilst a baby may not be aware of your concerns about wifi a young child could be and develop a fear of such things, people who are afraid of spiders and a variety of other things have ofter learned this behaviour from their parents.
This is not said as a criticism of your concern but just a point to bear in mind.
VileReynard
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 14

Place your youngsters cot inside a Faraday Cage.
He will then be totally safe - although you may be accused of jailing your child.  Grin

Fixes: 263

Come on guys, enough of taking the mick eh?
I have a 8 month old son to think of. I don't want him to have leukemia or something because of something I've done and could have prevented.

While I appreciate your sentiments you can't, as a parent, protect your children from everything - that will probably give you ulcers and a heart attack.
All we can do is our best. You can try and protect him from Wi-Fi/electrical signals at home but what about when you take him to the shops, friends/relatives?
The old adage; while you're crossing the road to avoid a powerline you can get hit by a bus Embarrassed

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Okay here's some thing more sensible:

• Consider foil backed board between the cot and the wall

Quote from: vilefox
Place your youngsters cot inside a Faraday Cage.
He will then be totally safe - although you may be accused of jailing your child.  Grin

Actually you lads may be onto something. If I put a big bit of wood between his cot and the wall where the socket is, covered in foil and a wire linking the foil to the earth point in the socket (using an antistatic mains plug) would that absorb the EM away from him and send it straight to ground?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Aspiring Champion

British Help American Wounded- Rehabilitation and Treatment, UK, 1944 A serviceman undergoes short wave diathermy treatment in a mesh cubicle or 'cage' at a hospital somewhere in Britain. Short wave diathermy is the application of radio waves around of 50-100 MHz frequency to the body to induce deep heat in tissues, used as part of physiotherapy, which can be applied continuously or pulsed. The original caption states that "it promotes deep healing - it heals septic conditions through dressings, for instance. This machine gives off wireless waves which interferes with short wave transmission. That is the reason from the wire box, which breaks up the waves". A nurse administers the treatment.

A poor explanation of a Faraday Cage...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

A poor idea of medical treatment too  Shocked
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
itsme
Grafter

Huh Treatment is still used today but methods changed.
VileReynard
Aspiring Champion

I liked the phrase "...at a hospital somewhere in Britain...".  Grin
Careless talk costs lives and all that...
Actually you lads may be onto something. If I put a big bit of wood between his cot and the wall where the socket is, covered in foil and a wire linking the foil to the earth point in the socket (using an antistatic mains plug) would that absorb the EM away from him and send it straight to ground?

You could use the insulation board that has metal foil to reflect heat back into the room.
It's not necessary to earth your board, so long as multiple boards have a good electrical connection to each other.
You can test your cage by trying to call a mobile phone placed in the cage from outside the cage; it should not ring.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

A poor idea of medical treatment too  Shocked

they still use the same treatments now albeit at a different wavelength
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Not sure where I read it but one article claimed that a mild electrical current applied to a local area where a bone had been broken speeded up healing of the bone.
AndyDane
Dabbler

If you're really that worried, the loony from powerwatch sells all sorts of stuff that from faraday cage hats to EM proof paint you can paint your house on. Of course, there's no facts, peer reviewed evidence or science behind it all, the only thing it's all proven to do, is empty your wallet.