Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powerful Earthquake hits New Zealand

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Powerful Earthquake hits New Zealand

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37967178

New Zealand South Island.... near Christchurch...   ( not far from the last big one )..

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Powerful Earthquake hits New Zealand

With eight members of family in New Zealand including four in the worst hit parts of South Island we have been exchanging messages all day, and pleased to say all are Ok. Eldest grandson is in the Christchurch Police so as you can imagine is much too busy to indulge in conversations with us at this time.

BBC 6 O'clock news gave it all of 10 seconds coverage.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Again early this morning @petlew hope your relatives are still safe.

Pomity
Dabbler

my heart goes out to new zealand and everyone affected by this quake. God bless all of you!

Community Veteran

@journeys thank you, we haven't heard anything since yesterday. Fingers are tightly crossed as the four in the Queenstown area are likely to be in the thick of it.

During the previous earthquake in 2011 again doing severe damage to Christchurch with a lot of lives lost, my granddaughter was at Christchurch university, most of the students immediately volunteered for rescue work while the "official" rescue was being assembled into what is a difficult to access place. She and many others saw harrowing sights that no girl of her tender years should be expected to see.

I remember seeing the photographs of homeless survivors "living" in shipping containers.

During one of our many visits to New Zealand our (then) son-in-law invited me to his office in Wellington on the tenth floor of an office block, I was bemused to note that the floor was moving and there was a general continuous dull vibration, nobody else in the office was taking much notice, it was explained that it was the price to pay for living in a geologically unstable part of the world, Wellingtonions simply get used to it.

New Zealand may have a reputation for being utopia on Earth, but it has its own problems and is firmly in the Pacific "Ring of Fire".

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Bearing in mind that the Moon causes tidal reactions of all sorts on the planet, I wonder if it's having a weird effect on the earth's crust at the moment with all these earthquakes. It's the closest it's been to Earth since 1948 apparently and there have been more that the average number of quakes/tremors in the last few days. 

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/#%7B%22autoUpdate%22%3A%5B%22autoUpdate%22%5D%2C%22basema...

Community Veteran

You may well be right nozzer. I wonder if there are any figures for 1948 for earthquake activity available for comparison.

The UK has a number of earthquakes everyday, most too small to be noticed, but just occasionally one gets to do some damage. I recall that some roofing was dislodged in Harlesden NW London some years ago by what was thought to be a minor earth tremor.

Minivanman
Hero

Maybe that God of yours can stop causing earthquakes @Pomity. No? Thought not.

NZ is a beautiful country and like many I have family down there but let's be realistic guys, the place is sat smack bang on top of a fault line. Terrible times and I hope they manage to keep safe - with or without those prayers.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.