cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power sockets

Fixes: 390

Re: Power sockets

Thanks @Mook, I'll try that the next time a bulb fails.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 73.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@Mook wrote:

Not enough lights to justify the sums @Strat but I'd approach it this way.

Remove a bulb from each set, and turn power on, if the lights remain on then one of the two is at fault, so replace one back in to set A to see if it trips. If it does then the culprit is the one you've just tried.

*** However, if it doesn't trip then there's a one in three chance of the dead one being the other one you removed. You know the lights on set A are good so remove one of them and put it in to the empty slot on set B and test. If the lights remain on then it confirms that the duff bulb is the one you removed. But if the lights trip again then the bulb is good and it's a fifty / fifty on one of the others.

@Mook 

I must be as dim as the blown lamp, but you lost me where I've inserted the asterisks  Undecided

I'm probably mis-reading something, but surely if it doesn't trip at that stage the un-replaced lamp is at fault?

Mook
Rising Star

Ah! Good point, well spotted @RobPN.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@RobPN wrote:

I'm probably mis-reading something, but surely if it doesn't trip at that stage the un-replaced lamp is at fault?

Yup, 100% ----- Considering you started off with one bulb from each group of 3 which = two bulbs and when you replace one and the breaker stay in,  why is there only a 1 in 3 chance that the other bulb you have in your hand is faulty - i would say it is 100% ( ie 1 in 1 ) chance that the bulb you have in your hand is the faulty one, unless you consider that the breaker may have tripped because 1 or more bulbs are 'partly faulty ' and the overload is a cumulative one LOL.....

Tricky things those fiendish LED bulbs,  at least with filaments you know where you are,  they are either blown or are working properly......

VileReynard
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 18

Why not just put a meter across each "bulb" separately - surely the bad one will have a different resistance to the other two?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@VileReynard 

Would that work with a diode? 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

LEDs inside of LED bulbs aren't connected directly to the base, they usually use a switch mode power supply or a capacitive dropper to lower the current going into the lamp, usually what fails is this power supply (or components on the mains side, like capcitors or resistors failing and either shorting or opening), and often the LEDs themselves are perfectly fine, just somewhat sealed up and not easy to DIY repair without the bulb looking like a dog chewed it...

Highlighted
Fixes: 390

@VileReynard wrote:

Why not just put a meter across each "bulb" separately - surely the bad one will have a different resistance to the other two?

@VileReynard I did try that and the resistance readings on my digital meter on good and failed bulbs was the same.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 73.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.