Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power sockets

TTman
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Power sockets

Am thinking of renewing some of my power sockets. May change some to ones with usb chargers in them. Anyone else got these,do they work with all mobiles and ipads,is there anything else I need to know. Any advice would be welcome.

52 REPLIES 52
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Power sockets

Personally, I'd recommend avoiding fitting wall sockets with built-in USB power, you never know what kind of quality parts are used, even from leading reputable brands, and if they fail, you'll be needing to change the socket again to restore the option or to make sure said failed parts don't catch fire...

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Twocvbloke makes a good point, use plug in chargers that will be better quality than the ones squashed into a wall socket where space is very tight. 

TTman
Seasoned Pro

@twocvbloke @wotsup Thanks for the advice I think you could be right, maybe better to stick to normal onesThumbs_Up

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yep I use an Ikea mains to 4 USB sockets adaptor in my hall and it is really useful.

Cost something silly like £8, but I would recommend one of those rather than changing your wall sockets.
Marksfish
Pro
Fixes: 4

@wotsup wrote:

Twocvbloke makes a good point, use plug in chargers that will be better quality than the ones squashed into a wall socket where space is very tight. 

That said, there are a lot of fake and dangerous chargers out there. I was told about them some years back on a PAT course and they are regularly in the news now.

TTman
Seasoned Pro

@Alex Thanks but want to change sockets anyway as a lot are 30years old and looking tattyWink

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Lot of myths about PAT testing, it is not actually a legal requirement, but more an insurance company thing - the only requirement by HSE is the equipment is maintained in a safe condition. And I never did see the sense of testing double insulated equipment like a USB charger with no earth connection and or exposed conductive element to test 'insulation resistance' to connect tester to anyway.  A visual inspection is enough ... especially in low risk environments like offices. To be honest some chargers do not comply with basic standards,  never buy really cheap stuff, it is asking for trouble.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/electricity/faq-portable-appliance-testing.htm

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

My brother fitted these in a house he has just renovated but not sure I'd bother changing existing sockets but there you go, if they need changing. Personally I'd just pay out for decent sockets m'self rather than those with usb's but that's more of a personal choice not wanting something 'gadgety'.

Just a thought, if your sockets are thirty years old (and wiring perhaps older) wouldn't that be more important?

Just saying. 😃

Highlighted
idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@TTman  I've had a few now for a couple of years. No problems at all and very convenient. They even fast charge my latest phone without any issues whatsoever. A couple of the twin sockets I have come with 3 USB sockets on them - you can get 4. Do look at the amount of power they can supply per socket though. Does vary.

The misses has her phone and tablet plugged in to the USB sockets at the same time and does mean the socket is available for whatever. The only issue I did have is the depth of the box but I see the latest ones come with either a spacer or the internals are not so deep now. I might even go as far as to say the they are the best thing since slice bread! Highly recommended.

As to PVC cable life, varies. I've known some to be pretty bad even after 30 years. Others have looked as if they were made yesterday.

Ever helpful. :grin: Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
TeeGee
Aspiring Pro

Just had a kitchen built with USB sockets and would not be without them. The convenience of not needing an extra plug has to be worth the risk of a few milliamps being hazardous. The old PVC covered wiring (well over 30 yrs) looks to be in good condition and with modern energy efficiency takes a far lower load than it was intended for.

A bigger concern for me is the multiplicity of extensions required for electronic communication and entertainment. Six TV related and 12 in my study from a total of 4 13A sockets.  Not much of a load but not very tidy either!

P S If you have USB sockets don;t forget to take the real plugs with you when you go on holiday or visit relatives!

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@TeeGee 

Yes indeed more plug sockets needed!

I completely rewired our cottage some ten years back during initial renovation and at a time of when many homes had nowhere near enough so it was a good a time as any to get it sorted. Lots of chasing out of walls, lots of new cables and all fed from a new fuse box of course. The kitchen alone small as it is now has two doubles and a single at high level and two doubles at lower lever but even so we find we could have done with a couple more. Bread maker, coffee maker, toaster, smart meter, radio, all permanently plugged in so not much going spare.

*Thinks*

Might have to fit those usb's after all. 😛

Oh yes, more often than not the Mrs has her Kindle with her in the kitchen, not to mention the phone - or the mini wireless speaker I bought her for Christmas so... 

How quickly the world and demand change eh, and there was me thinking I was well ahead of the curve!

Fixes: 365

A year ago I fitted a double wall socket as a replacement in my daughter's house.

I chose one with 2 USB sockets as they have quite a number of USB powered devices.

They don't use the USB sockets because of the noise they make....apparently.

I am substantially older than anyone in her house and hear nothing from the sockets.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 72.0.2 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Strat 

Just a thought on that, presumably these usb's are on all the time unless you able to switch the wall socket off? 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

For us slightly younger folk who haven't trashed our hearing (yet), Switch-Mode Power Supplies can be surprisingly noisy, with high-pitch buzzing or squealing coming from them, usually from ceramic capacitors or the transformers acting like little speakers, can be rather annoying especially in a quiet room...

And then there's the RF noise some with poor to no filtering can generate which nicely travels back through the house wiring to make for a nice household transmission antenna, which apparently can upset those Ham & Cheese radio enthusiasts, aswell as disrupt DAB radio reception within the house...