cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power drill replacement recommendation

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Power drill replacement recommendation

My trusted wolf-cub power drill has given up (after 30 years) and I need a replacement.
A general purpose drill, cordless would be nice, not sure I understand the difference between NiMH and Lithium-ion.
Any recommendations, (rather like the look and feel of the DeWalt DC-100)..
32 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Power drill replacement recommendation

It depends what you class as general use
I have a cordless PowerLine Hammer drill (PHD144-2Cool 14.4V, Ni-CAD, which I purchased as a general purpose drill
For very general use, it is very good & doesn't miss a beat
That said
The only downside I have encountered
Is even with the best quality bits, it struggles to drill through brick
For drilling into brick / chasing walls etc I have got a
MACAlister MRH24 24V NiCd 1.7Ah (SDS)
Which I tend be using more @ the moment 
Not sure a cordless would last 30 years though The units might, however I (suspect the batteries won't)
I also have for site work
(BLUE) RYOBI Impact Drill Driver (CDD-1801) & Drill Driver (CD1-1810)
All the above comes with two batteries, in their own blow-moulded case(s) for easy transportation / storage
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Hi as torpc says it depends on you use , if you just after a general DIY drill Basic el cheepo B&Q are ok but dont last long hence the price ,
DeWalt are overpriced because of the name but are good , if you want one to use everyday for you employment you need to go for a good name brand , the old saying you get what you pay for  Wink
My self i used to fit kitchens , i found Hitachi to be a good make and Good price for what you get  Cool
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

I would get a lithium ion battery powered drill - the cost has come down a lot and they are far better than Ni-Cd batteries.
It all depends on what you want/need in terms of a drill. This is a good price for a basic household drill -
http://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-dv18dsfl-jc-18v-1-5ah-li-lon-cordless-combi-drill/43195#
PowerLee
Rising Star

DeWalt are just over priced Black & Decker, the only reason there popular is Bosch who where first approached made the mistake of turning down BBC's Changing Room's.
Hitachi are a good make, Bosch industrial are ok.
Used to work in tool repair for several years & we where a DeWalt warranty repair centre, wouldnt have a DeWalt if it was given to me.
We where also a Ryobi warranty centre, the older machines where good, the newer stuff was throw away.
If it was my money i'd go for a Hitachi.
For light / general low useage in DIY just go for a cheapie from the local DIY centre.
As for the Wolf, they where a good make back in the day.
nanotm
Pro

Makita drills are normally pretty good and there parts are normally cheap compared with other brands if your going for a work unit, if your going for home kit then something like the http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2272692.htm cordless unit is pretty decent and its cheap, ive had mine about a year and although the hammer drive isn't of the same quality as my 20yr old B&D SDS drill its not to shabby at banging through red bricks Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: PowerLee
<snip>
We where also a Ryobi warranty centre, the older machines where good, the newer stuff was throw away.
<snip>

That said you can use the newer (Green) Lithium RYOBI batteries & Charger with the older machines, just as I do Wink
Plus RYOBI make a vast range of machines the can be used with the same batteries, IE: Planer, Circular saw etc
Not used the (Green) RYOBI machines (thus can not comment on the quality)
PowerLee
Rising Star

Makita have a nasty habbit of modifying part's making a simple repair in to a throw the machine away job as Makita part's are never backwards compatible.
Lost count of the amount of Makita machines we saw there where beyond economic repair due to new part's incompatibility.
Hitachi when they modify thing's always make sure the new part is backwards compatible.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

The other and perhaps more fundamental questions are
how frequently you would use it - batteries tend to discharge over time
do you always use it within reach of a power point using a normal extension lead - could a mains powered one do the job
would you want to use it for an extended period - may need two batteries - not cheap at all
what type of chuck do you want - one which takes a normal drill bit or one that needs hex head bits, Note that large diameter masonry bits seem to only come with normal reduced diameter (12mm) shanks
would you ever want to use it for heavy duty use - example drilling a largish diameter hole through a wall or drilling through steel - where a battery powered one may be down on torque
nanotm
Pro

yeah I tend not spend more than 50 quid on battery operated drills (they tend to get dropped or knocked over when the kids are nearby....) which is why I recommended the worx unit as its got two 18v batteries although you would need a separate accessory set for the bits as the box doesn't have any in it still I continually find myself buying new bits as they wear out so fast anyway .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
PowerLee
Rising Star

Ryobi are just throw away rubbish, cheaply made & nasty with poor service back up even for there own service agents.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
The other and perhaps more fundamental questions are
how frequently you would use it - batteries tend to discharge over time
do you always use it within reach of a power point using a normal extension lead - could a mains powered one do the job
would you want to use it for an extended period - may need two batteries - not cheap at all
what type of chuck do you want - one which takes a normal drill bit or one that needs hex head bits, Note that large diameter masonry bits seem to only come with normal reduced diameter (12mm) shanks
would you ever want to use it for heavy duty use - example drilling a largish diameter hole through a wall or drilling through steel - where a battery powered one may be down on torque

I would like to add
When using any corded device
Make sure you use an RCD (they are inexpensive & can prove invaluable)
@PowerLee
It depends how they are used / abused / chucked in the van or stored correctly
I have had mine for several years, & have always looked after them, by keeping them in their supplied blow-moulded case & They have had a lot of heavy duty usage over the years
I have seen many a trades(person) just chuck theirs in the back of their van(s) without care, then they have a cheek to call then rubbish when they break
Like everything
If you look after them / it etc, then they / it, will look after you
Community Veteran

I've got a Makita Li-Ion drill which is about 4 years old and it's superb - good as the day I bought it. The big difference for me with the Li-Ion battery is that I can drill through brickwork/concrete without the need to charge my battery every 10 mins.
I've begun to buy some Festool tools for my woodworking workshop and I'm going to upgrade my drill with one or two from the Festool range - they are pricey, but the best out there imo.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Quote from: TORPC
I would like to add
When using any corded device
Make sure you use an RCD (they are inexpensive & can prove invaluable)

I only use one of those when using it outside and then I use an RCD protected power point
I wouldn't have thought it was necessary indoors as otherwise other hand held devices would need them (hair dryer for example)
Fixes: 47

The guys that fitted my windows used 3 industrial strength Makita hammer drills with 2 batteries for each, one on the drill and one on charge.
They said they had been through a few makes and models and settled on the Makita..don't know the model.
I bought a Makita Kit from B&Q on special offer but without the bit set...no great loss as I have loads of drill bits.
It has 2 batteries but only one has been used so far as it never seems to run out of charge.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation