cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Flush CH system.

chuffchuff
Rising Star

Power Flush CH system.

Just moved into a house that needs a bit of tlc.
As part of the installation, the plumber ran a power flush of the central
heating system. He said he had never come across one so bad.
Photo of the magnetic wand after the first flush.
Wonder how many folk are aware of the desirability of a power flush
as it seems that this house which is only 40 years old has never had one.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Power Flush CH system.

I fitted a Magnaclean after our Powerflush about ten years ago. Keeps it nice and clean.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/MagnaClean-MC22002-Magnetic-Filter/dp/B003BNL8Z4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top...
Fixes: 47

When we moved into our present house 23 years ago I had to replace a radiator and put in the appropriate amount of Fernox Protector upon refilling the system.
3 years ago I had a new boiler fitted and the plumber remarked on how clean the water was when he drained the system.
As far as I'm aware it has never been power flushed.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Good stuff is Fernox.
I think the trick to a clean system is also to make sure that the system is leak-free so it never gets fresh top-up water with oxygen dissolved in it. And if you have a system with no cast-iron in it you won't suffer from black sludge anyway, because that is formed by localized overheating in a cast-iron boiler. Aluminium heat exchangers won't have the problem.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Years ago I fitted some new radiator valves so had to drain the system, the water was fairly murky and there was what I can only describe as sludge in the emptied cold water tank that feeds the CH.
I recall putting some flushing fluid in the system for a few days and draining that out and then refilling the system with fernox, since then we have had no problems with radiators that needed bleeding or any type of problem with the system.
Not sure if Furnox has a limited effective life and needs replacing, does anybody know ?
Community Veteran

The only time it will need replacing is if it's been diluted by fresh water drawn into the system because of leaks. Otherwise if the system is watertight it's good for life.
Was the "sludge" in the water feed tank a light grey or white-ish colour? If so, that's probably bacterial or fungal growth. It grows because of lack of fresh water ingress.
Community Veteran

It was a light grey colour, cleaned it all out using a sponge before refilling the system.
I would not want to try it but is it possible to do your own power flush by connecting a hose pipe to one point with a second spare pipe running into a drain ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I have "flushed" radiators before. I got a couple of free ones ("they aren't heating").
Removed the valves, connected a hose and left it for about 15min till the was was clear. Been running now for about 10 years with no issues.
I added Fernox when I drained the system then. Yes I have a cast iron boiler, over 23 years old now.
Never done a power flush, cant afford it.
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
It was a light grey colour, cleaned it all out using a sponge before refilling the system.
I would not want to try it but is it possible to do your own power flush by connecting a hose pipe to one point with a second spare pipe running into a drain ?

Yes it is possible. It's usually recommended to reverse the normal flow direction and also get as much flow as you can.
Community Veteran

Taking it a step further you could rent or borrow a power washer and connect it to the system for a even more effective job, not sure how you would make the actual connection but with a bit of thought it could be done.
Community Veteran