Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Cuts preparedness !!

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Power Cuts preparedness !!

Watching the TV News this morning, the day after the St. Jude storms, and how people are coping with a power cut, it amazes me (perhaps not) just how ill prepared many are....
No Candles, Torches or means of cooking hot food, especially those with babies, and the older generation who you would have though would be  better prepared.
Whilst I do not use Candles, I do have many torches of all kinds, including Head Torches, and Area Light lamps, all battery powered.
Plus a portable gas cooker with gas cartridges.
Perhaps it's because when I used to live in East Anglia, we would get snowed in for days at a time in some of the harsh Winters.
And bottled water, and enough tinned food (with tin openers !) to last a few days.
15 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Power Cuts preparedness !!

Quote from: PlusComUK
Perhaps it's because when I used to live in East Anglia, we would get snowed in for days at a time in some of the harsh Winters.

I live East Anglia and have never been snowed for days and this cover close to 60 years.
Believe my brother is suffering a power cut, hope his generator is working.
Infinity
Pro

Newton Flotman.... in a small valley between hills.
Off the main routes...
Three times in 5 years.
itsme
Grafter

Know the A140 well, believe there were problems yesterday at Long Stratton.
Having my Winter Tyres fitted in 2 weeks time, have you considered using them?
Community Veteran

We've not had a power cut that has lasted more than 10-15 minutes in the last 7 years I've been here.
We do however have plenty of candles (bloody things are everywhere here  Grin) and a couple of torches that are always ready for use.
If we have an extended power cut, I have a UPS on the server, two more UPS units which have normal mains sockets on the back one of which I can plug the boiler into so I can maintain emergency heating or hot water.
We've also got a 4x4 in case of snow this winter.
CX
Grafter

My UPS tells me that we have two 4-second blips in the power early this morning. Only checked it because the non-latching RCD on the pond pump was off when we got up.
I recommend an LED torch like these:
http://www.ebuyer.com/367160-led-work-light-bl3260
This model is sometimes on offer, for around £12 and well worth the money. The quoted run-times are accurate. Much more light than a typical candle too, even on the medium brightness setting (8.5 hours).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The power went off around 2am here. One of the neighbours looked out and saw total blackness everywhere - except our landing window which was lit up.
We have one of these.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: picbits
We've also got a 4x4 in case of snow this winter.

Have seen an Audi 4x4 stranded on an ice covered car pack at a ski resort while 2 wheeled drive cars were having no problem. It was because the Audi had normal road tyres fitted.
Community Veteran

Unfortunately snow tyres are not an option on any of the vehicles we can have (we only keep them for 6 months) and a big 4x4 would cripple us for tax purposes so we settled on a Yeti 4x4 for the winter as a compromise.
Thunderclap
Grafter

No power means...
Sad OMG no Facebook! OMG no Twitter! OMG no Instagram! OMG no UTube! This is the worse situation ever!
...just deal with it biaches.
On a practical note, get a few of those stick on LED lights and some cheapo batteries.from your pound-ish store.

Community Veteran

We have just taken delivery of two new power operated reclining chairs. Which according to the specification have battery back-up. In fact they don't (this moot point is being discussed at length with the seller)
Whilst I could probably struggle out of mine at full recline during a power failure SWMBO being completely disabled will not be able to so will be trapped in the chair for the duration of the cut.
I have purchased a battery back-up unit http://www.careco.co.uk/item-p-rr07018/rr-rr07-riser-recliner-accessories/multi-functional-battery-b... for peace of mind. Since it has eight outlets it can power other devices as well such as computers and keep some lights on for a short while.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I find eBuyer as good as anywhere for prices: same unit http://www.ebuyer.com/113906-apc-back-ups-es-400-ac-230v-400va-8-output-connectors-be400-uk
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: PlusComUK
Watching the TV News this morning, the day after the St. Jude storms, and how people are coping with a power cut, it amazes me (perhaps not) just how ill prepared many are....
No Candles, Torches or means of cooking hot food, especially those with babies, and the older generation who you would have though would be  better prepared.
Whilst I do not use Candles, I do have many torches of all kinds, including Head Torches, and Area Light lamps, all battery powered.
Plus a portable gas cooker with gas cartridges.
And bottled water, and enough tinned food (with tin openers !) to last a few days.

I kept my OP simple, in relation to what I saw on TV News this morning, and how people were ill prepared, even with the simple things.
For a storm that was predicted from last Friday, if not before, by the Met Office.
Personally, additionally I have a couple of Generators, UPS, and 12v Inverter supplies, which will last me 8 hours+ for computer, TV and one SKY+HD PVR all together.
Plus DC supply for my Plusnet Router !
Generators for general domestic items, portable lighting and CH pumps etc.
Plus battery radios, though I am in a poor Radio reception area.
It's good to see what others have though, if nothing else, for inspiration.
Community Veteran

based on my time working in Africa dont rely on one source of heat/light/cooking
so have electric oven but gas hob. Oil central heating but open fire (usually coal) and a wood burner. We used to have gas bottle heaters as well but they tend to steam everything up.
Plenty of torches and candles.
An a landline phone (not cordless) so I can ring the local distribution company for updates  Lips are sealed
I have been in the power and generation business all my working life but never organised a generator at home  Crazy
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Only backup power I ever had was a UPS that someone gave me with some computer bits from freecycle. For a freebie it lasted a good 2.5 years before the battery conked out. It's now useless  Cry
We do have a candle though, oh and a torch and somewhere a corded phone in a cupboard too! In a sheer emergency we have the car for heating / leccy (I really must find an inverter.. I could scavenge the UPS but I keep hoping to fix that).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!