Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Cuts... The Plus Side, and being Positive

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Power Cuts... The Plus Side, and being Positive

Power Cuts... The Plus Side, and being Positive >>

One Plus side of a power cut, apart from Standing Charges, No Energy Bill for that service, for the duration of the cut !

Another Plus side, using all those items held ready for such an event...
Generator, Torches, Portable Gas Cooker, stored food and water, thermal clothing and other Winter Woolies for indoors, going for a walk in the local Park, in the Snow. The Radio.
A proper Duvet day....
Reading those books you always mean to read.
Phoning friends and relatives on a BT line powered phone.
etc...........

Negative side... No Plusnet, unless you have a battery supply for your router, and battery powered computer, iPad, Tablet etc.
Or a Mobile 3G / 4G device, smartphone etc.
Or other means of connecting.

Charging of battery powered devices, at home anyway, unless you charge from Car Lighter Socket, or backup Battery based charger (1.2v - 12v) with adaptors indoors.

Fortunately these days, there are , for example, food restaurants etc that can provide wifi, charging facilities, food & drink. And warmth
Even in my Village, there are around Eight such locations, though no doubt even busier than usual, if they have power, and surrounding areas do not.
My local Library also provides.. warmth, wifi, charging facilities, and non electronic entertainment, papers and monthly magazines
64 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Power Cuts... The Plus Side, and being Positive

Prepare have a nice little 11 KVA voltage regulated genset to provide standby power.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The Standing charge is interesting, this is similar to paying monthly rental for a phone line with no service available. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Prepare have a nice little 11 KVA voltage regulated genset to provide standby power.

At that price I'll have a couple.. not! 65dB at 7m... Hmm I could quite easily use that in my back garden though as I'd never hear it all the way out there! The neighbours might but I wouldn't  Grin
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Infinity
Pro

We had a mini power cut early this morning, so before using my Electric Power Shower, as a precaution, I filled the Bathroom Sink with Hot Water from the Hot tap, just in case...
Nothing worse than losing power partway through a Shower, and having to rinse off Suds with Cold Water !!!
Thankfully, no power cuts during Showers... not this morning anyway !
( Previous House had gravity fed mixer Shower fed from Hot Water Cylinder, so no worries there . )
itsme
Grafter

Power and water cuts while having a shower does not affect me  Wink advantage of the old cylinder and header tank over combi
Fixes: 47

Never mind power cuts during a shower, what about water cuts.
My daughter has an electric shower but doesn't use it because of the poor water supply which varies daily between reasonable pressure and off.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

She'll be wanting something like a water pressure boosting pump.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I had the same in my old terrace house in Wellingborough, if more than four or five people in the street decided to have a shower at the same time, my water pressure would be so low that it wouldn't come out of the shower head.
On more than one occasion I turned up at work having finished off my washing from water in the toilet cistern !
valart
Grafter

I suppose one gets a automatic boot up on their router except there might be a long delay in between
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: PlusComUK
We had a mini power cut early this morning, so before using my Electric Power Shower, as a precaution, I filled the Bathroom Sink with Hot Water from the Hot tap, just in case...
Nothing worse than losing power partway through a Shower, and having to rinse off Suds with Cold Water !!!

This morning, thankfully just before I finished my Shower...... we had a Power Cut !
Hot water in sink to the rescue.
And portable Gas cooker to warm the Milk for my Weetabix.
Power back on now, no power for around an hour.
Rang up, apparently a large tree had blown onto some power lines, now bypassed / repaired.
nanotm
Pro

realistically there isn't a positive to being without electricity, my gas doesn't even work without it (some bright spark made the boiler only work when its powered)
without power the mobile network doesn't work....I have a plethora of wind up devices but without power there's nothing to listen to on the radio anyway, in very real terms if the mains goes down (pylon down) were stuck freezing with a few hours of portable gas cooking and a major panic buy session going on in town, oh and fuel pumps don't work so people are trying to syphon your fuel tanks after a day of it.....
that said if it happened for a prolonged period the 20 kilo's of porridge I bought by mistake (meant to be 2 kilo's) might be usefull Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: PlusComUK

Overnight, we had a few mini power cuts, ranging from 15 minutes to a couple of hours.
So with some trepidation, I had a Shower this morning.......
You've guessed it...... Power Cut during
Hot Water in Sink to the rescue again !!
(Enough for two)
Power Cut lasted an hour !
Let's hope tomorrow is better, Christmas Lunch for many at Home !
Some pre-cooking tonight, just in case.
One good thing, Christmas around a blazing Log Fire.
nadger
Rising Star

Hope there isn't a power cut later as was planning to have my annual bath albeit I don't really need one  Crazy
All joking aside one has to really feel sorry for anyone currently without power due to the adverse weather conditions.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Having spent all night out in my garden, pumping out a torrent of surface water which would otherwise flood my house, I was very aware of the overhead power cables sparking in the distance, and large areas of housing on the horizon suddenly being plunged into darkness.
If the power had gone down for me, then the pumps would have stopped, my house would have gone under water and Christmas would have been ruined.
I'm still pumping now, but the rate of the water returning is slowing, so should be OK.
Just need to mend a fence, dig out some ditches, and patch up some roofing felt..
Just down the road there is a daft old lady, probably in her 70s, up to her waist in water in the middle of the road, trying to dig out the road drain - and succeeding !.
The news this morning says 1807 houses in Essex are without power.  I hope they get back online by tonight !.